Author Topic: Survivor '69 Coupe with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual  (Read 34842 times)

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor '69 Coupe with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 02:54:39 AM »
The manual steering box is a GM 5679142, the same one that came on '68 and '69 Z28s.  I can see if there's a part number on the Pittman arm and also measure it.  I couldn't find a list of manual steering boxes in the '69 AIM, so I don't know if this box on this car is unusual or not.  Note the backshift mechanism to the right of the steering box.  The actuating rod was removed many years ago and was in the trunk when I bought the car.

My '70 Camaro 6-cylinder had manual steering and used the same steering box as the '70 Z28, which was correct according to the '70 AIM.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:41 AM »
The jack is unusual for one obvious reason...its jacking mechanism/load hook and base are different colors (I don't know if this was uncommon or not).  The date on the jack is "9E", the base is stamped "U69", and the original rubber sleeves are still holding the tire iron in place.  The iron has a spot of orange paint on the lug end...an inspection mark for a complete and correct jack?

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 10:55:09 AM »
The original timing sticker on the radiator support. Note that it shows it is for a car equipped with a 140 or 155 HP engine...a 230 or a 250 six. It is still very legible and has great patina.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2021, 01:32:35 PM »
I'm doing a couple of current projects on the car...replacing the heater control due to a broken fan slider, rebuilding the warped dash pad with the help of a buddy who has done them before, fixing the sticky heater box flap, and reinstalling FC coded wheels.

I have been into 6-cylinder Camaros and Novas for approximately 40 years and have amassed a pretty good collection of parts for them. One of the items I have had for a very long time is an FC code wheel that was the spare from a '68 junkyard Nova.  The tire was ruined from being in an open trunk for unknown years and was discarded.  The wheel was still in great shape with original paint and valve stem.  It was from a car with full hubcaps and was painted black with a 2" long valve stem (a photo is attached).  Charlotte's husband Lyle put Rally wheels on the Camaro around 1972 and the original Frost Green wheels disappeared (but the mag hubcaps were fortunately saved).  I have a complete set of FC wheels down in the basement parts room and they are going back on the car.  Most 1st Gen Camaro guys want Rally wheels, so virtually every Camaro at a show has them.  I like the look of hubcaps on 1st Gens because they look more correct and lend an air of nostalgia.  They are seldom seen on 1st Gens and really stand out at shows.

The only original wheel from this car currently has is its spare, which has a 1972 dated BFG Silvertown F78-14 bias-ply whitewall mounted to it.  The wheel is dated 5-13-69 and has a small "FC" next to the valve stem ('68s used a larger FC...the easy way to spot which year wheel you have).  All 4 wheels going on the car are '68 wheels...who cares...it's a six-banger!

One of the great things about sixes is that their parts are CHEAP because almost no one wants them.  Looking for a set of NOS 6-cylinder Delco points?...$10.  How about an NOS upper radiator hose?...$15.  An NOS distributor cap?...$20.  A rebuildable Rochester Monojet carb?...$25.  An NOS muffler?...$60.  Plus, they get GREAT gas mileage!

I will post some photos of the dash project in a few days.  Hope you are liking these posts.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 04:19:52 PM »
I put the dash pad and heater control replacement on temporary hold while trying to figure out a minor drivability issue where the engine is only firing on 5 cylinders up to approx. 2,000 rpm and then smoothes out.  A check of the plug wires with a timing light shows that the #4 plug is firing maybe 20-30% of the time at idle. I replaced the plugs with NOS AC R46N gapped to .035, new AC points gapped at .017, and new cap and rotor. I believe the wires are original, although they don't have any lettering on them to indicate they are AC (or anything else), and no date codes.  The mileage on the car is just over 44k and Charlotte's husband Lyle (original owners) said he doesn't think they were ever replaced.  Anyway, if it is a timing issue, it's now possibly in the distributor.  I pulled the valve cover and checked the lash.  The number 4 exhaust was loose and didn't want to adjust, so I decided to replace the lifter.  All valves adjusted properly, but the engine still has the miss.  I have a spare low-mile cylinder head from a '70 250 and will probably bolt it on and see if that cures the problem (I am now wondering if this is a sticky valve due to the car sitting undriven for 39 years).  The original GM metal head gasket is still on the car and I hate to replace it, but that's where I'm headed as I don't have a spare 6-cyl distributor.

A compression check shows all cylinders between 134-148 psi...good indications.  I wondered if a sticking valve would cause a drop in compression on one cylinder, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

While under the hood I snapped a pic of the casting date and the engine's VIN pad.  The car was built 05E and the P-O-P shows the engine stamping should be "F0506BE"...it is.  The BE code indicates this is the legendary "mountain motor" 250 six...a massive 20 inches larger than the stock 230 (note: insert sarcasm here).  Note that there is no VIN stamped...I have owned several '68-'70 six cylinders and none of them had VIN numbers, although there is plenty of room for one.

I pulled the air pump and its pipe off and put them back in storage.  The pipe is attached to threaded ports on the exhaust side of the head.  Note that the original Delco 208 coil is still on the car, as well as the original AC fuel pump.  The rubber input hose and clamp are still on the supply side of the fuel pump.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 04:24:09 PM »
The valve cover and top of the engine were clean as a whistle...a testament to Charlotte's obsessive oil change routine (she always insisted on Phillips 66 Trop Artic 10W-30...something she learned from her grandfather).  She usually had the oil changed between 2,500-4k miles.

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 04:59:13 PM »
I would recommend that you should replace the spark plug wires as it may be the reason you are having a problem with the engine running at low rpm.  You have a nice 1969 Camaro! 

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 04:14:41 PM »
Try swapping the #4 wire with another and see if the misfire changes cylinders with the wire swap. Or install a new wire on #4 (or replace all of them). If you know anyone or a shop with a distributor machine, you could pull yours and have it checked.   

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
GMAD, thanks for the compliment...much appreciated!  "Charlotte" will remain completely original and unrestored, and I'll convert it back to a 3-on-the-tree as soon as I can find a decent donor car.  I know where there is a '69 Nova 4-door with a light green interior and a 230 six with a column shift, but I would have to buy the whole car to get the column...a growing possibility for me.  I know of only one other '69 Camaro with a six and 3-speed manual...a red base convertible with a red interior and a white top that was for sale about 3 or 4 years ago for $17k in Virginia (current whereabouts unknown...I hope this ultra-rare car was restored to its original glory).  It was sold right before I found out about it.  There are a few other '69s which may or may not still have their 6 cylinders and automatic trannies...a really nice gold coupe with a TH-350 and AC (what a fantastic oddball!), a Frost Green base coupe with a 250 and a PG with a dark green interior and nose stripe in IN that was for sale on Ebay about 2 years ago, a white base coupe with a 230 and PG with a red interior and nose stripe from WA that was sold on Ebay 4 or 5 years ago, and a couple of really beat up and rusty coupes with remnants of their six banger drivetrains that I've spotted on Craigslist (and were still relatively expensive) and weren't worth pursuing.  Every once in awhile I spot them at Hershey or Carlisle in sad, abused shape and waiting for their LS drivetrain swaps...sadness.

So Charlotte really punches the buttons of a lot of guys at car shows because she is so freaking rare.  I was told for years and years that "rare doesn't necessarily mean desirable", but now it definitely does.

By the way, I am very familiar with the Van Nuys plant as I drove to LA 5 years ago to buy a 4-door Nova police car that had sat under the home of a Hollywood film editor for about 30 years.  It had heavy documentation (build sheet, paperwork from the LA County auction where it was sold in 1981, and its speedometer calibration paper and envelope from the GM Tech Center on Van Dyke Ave in Warren, MI) and was the 2nd of only 17 cop cars produced by GM at the end of the 1974 model year.  I posted a lot of info on it on Steve's Nova Site.  I sold it to clear out some of the madness of keeping 6 cars stored at various storage units.  It's sad to see that a Home Depot and several other big box retailers sit on the Van Nuys plant site and all remnants of the plant are completely gone.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 04:37:31 PM by 68SixBangerRS »

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
MO...thanks for the troubleshooting tip.  I finally located an NOS set of spare 6-cyl. spark plug wires (dated 1Q77) and swapped the #4 wire...no change in the problem.  I then swapped all 6 wires with no change.  It almost feels like it has a bent valve, but the engine was never abused and I'm now thinking it may have a problem in the dist.  I will pull it and send it off for a rebuild this week.  Fall is here and I have about a 2 month window to get it back and see how that works.  The car is still drivable but annoying with the missing cylinder, and the last thing I want to do is harm the drivetrain further.

While I'm waiting on the dist to get back to me, I've decided to pull the clutch and pressure plate and see how they look.  They have low miles (44,300), but there is some chattering while engaging 1st gear from a stop...evidence of a glazed clutch disk.  I have a feeling the throwout bearing could also use some attention.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 04:38:10 PM by 68SixBangerRS »

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »
I'm posting the interesting bits from the Aug. '98 issue of Special Interest Autos...one of my favorite defunct car magazines.  That issue featured an original survivor '67 Camaro base coupe with a 250 and a 3-speed manual with a floor shift.  The article contained excerpts from the Mar. '67 issue of Car Life magazine that tested pony cars with six cylinder engines against each other.  It also compared a base Camaro six with an SS350 4-speed Camaro. 

My impression of driving a base coupe with a six and 3-speed is that most guys would much rather have a V8 (hey, that could be a catchy slogan..."I could'a had a V8").  You have to lean a little hard on this drivetrain when merging into highway traffic...stay in 1st gear up to 25-30 mph before the shift to 2nd, then stay in 2nd up to 45-50 mph.  For driving around town the six provides decent acceleration.  Once the car is in 3rd above 40-45 mph, it has plenty of available torque to accelerate at a nearly-V8 pace.  There is a great state scenic highway that follows the beautiful Olentangy River just a few minutes east of my house, SR 315, and Charlotte has no problem negotiating 30 mph curves at 45-50.  The car feels very light and small, much like a 3rd Gen Nova.  The monoleafs keep the rear well planted, and the 6 inch wide wheels are just fine with no dramatics.  And although drum brakes have a bad reputation, they stop the car just fine, even without a power booster.

Note from the article that the '67 with the 250 weighed only 2,780 lbs dry (the '69 is a little more weight), and was capable of 0-60 in 11.4 seconds (the SS350 did the same in 7.8 sec).  The main thing missing from the six is the stout acceleration a V8 provides.  Note also that '69 six cylinder production was 26.7%...it's amazing that so few have survived.

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2021, 05:26:40 PM »
I remember when we built a few 1979 Camaros for the California Highway Patrol and when they were coming down the assembly line, I talked with one of the UAW committee representatives about the cars.  The Carmaros were a big hit with the officers and I remember when one passed me on the San Diego freeway at a high rate of speed and he wasn't chasing anyone!

I've never been back to Van Nuys to see where the plant once stood as I had so many great memories of working there and couldn't bring myself to see the area today.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 01:24:50 AM »
GMAD, I remember those '79 CHP Camaros well.  I was stationed at 32nd Street Naval Station in San Diego from '79-83 and the Camaros were stationed in 2 areas around SD...the mountains of east SD County along I-8, and the north county area from Carlsbad through Camp Pendleton up to the San Onofre nuke plant.  They were the best looking CHP cars of all time (in my opinion), but the '70-72 Dodge Polaras were far superior police cars with their 440s.

Were you on the Fisher Body side of Van Nuys, or the Chevrolet side before the GMAD merge?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:17:43 AM by 68SixBangerRS »

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 04:27:22 PM »
I started at the Van Nuys Assembly Plant when it was GMAD and since being on CRG, I've wondered if the trim tags were attached to the firewall when shipped from Fisher Body as I don't recall ever seeing the tags being fastened on the assembly line.

I remember seeing a few CHP B4C Camaros on the 5 Freeway as I would frequently visit my sister and family in the San Diego area as my brother-in-law was a career US Navy officer.  I once saw a blue 1969 Camaro going down the freeway in the slow lane with a CA license plate "REALZ28," anf figured it must have had 4.56 gears as he was only going 55 mph!

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 03:46:04 PM »
GMAD, the CHP Camaros were on the stretches of freeway where they could chase down speeders on challenging stretches.  The 17 miles of I-5 through Camp Pendleton were a great place to see what a car could do.  I don't believe very many Camaros were built for the CHP and I don't know of any survivors...a shame.

I'm guessing the cowl tags should have been installed by Fisher Body, but that is apparently lost to time.  I am frequently in Detroit and my favorite building there is the Fisher Building, an Art Deco masterpiece built in the late '20s after the Fisher brothers sold their company to William C. Durant, the founder of GM.  It is absolutely overflowing with expensive overwrought bronze bas relief panels, intricate tile work, stained glass, and rare types of marble and other stones.  It sits right across the street from the General Motors Building on West Grand Blvd.  Both buildings were designed by Detroit's greatest architect, Albert Kahn who designed many factories for the auto industry.  When the GM Building was completed in the late teens, it was the largest office building in the world.

The Fisher Body 21 plant, a magnificent industrial ruin sits a few blocks from the GM Building on Piquette Avenue.  I have been through the city block-long plant building several times...6 stories of busted glass, twisted steel girders, trash, and graffiti...a good place to bring a baseball bat along with your 35mm camera.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 05:03:01 PM by 68SixBangerRS »