Author Topic: Unusual Trim Tag / VIN / Block Code combination  (Read 756 times)

Major_Tom

• View Profile
Unusual Trim Tag / VIN / Block Code combination
« on: September 21, 2021, 02:56:53 PM »
Hi,

thanks for accepting me into the forum. My name is Johann, I am from Germany and looking at a 1967 Camaro SS 396 right now, which supossedly is a L78 car. Before any questions arise, the car is a very well done frame-off restauration, almost no flaws at all on the car -basically like new. The seller is asking 68,000$ for it.

Now to the weird part:

The trim tag says the car is a 4N car, production first week of July 1967.

The VIN is a 16xxxx, so July 1967 seems to fit.

The block matches the VIN, the engine code says itīs a MQ - so L78 block. Assembly date is 07II, so 11th of July.

Basically there seems to be a mismatch between the trim tag and the block / VIN combination.

The carburetor seems to be a Hollley 4160 series List- 3613, so not original but from a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 L78.

Is there the possibility that this is still a real L78 car? If itīs not - is this well made tribute in the market price range? It certainly is a very nice car.

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Johann

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Trim Tag / VIN / Block Code combination
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
Welcome Johann!

Can you post some pictures of the trim tag, etc.  I know that those that know that can help you will want to see pictures if you can post them.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »
I'd like to see a picture of the engine pad. But I'm a doubter that it's a real L78....
Kurt S
CRG

bertfam

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »
I'd like to see a picture of the engine pad. But I'm a doubter that it's a real L78....

Kurt, it's HERE but there's way too much paint on it to really tell and it's too small. I tried to enlarge it (see below), but it didn't help. He'll need to remove the paint and take a better picture.

Ed
Ed "Bert" Bertrand
email me!

Major_Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 05:04:46 PM »
I posted enlarged pictures of the pad here

https://www.camaros.net/threads/unusual-trim-vin-block-code-combination.482690/post-1783293190

Sorry for posting in both forums - I wanted to get as much info from the US-Experts as possible. Those cars don’t have the same following in Europe as in the States and as such it’s much harder to get an educated opinion.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 05:14:39 PM »
 I don't see the number 7 in the VIN stamp though it can be covered by paint. A normal stamp would be like 7L164xxx    though there was a period where the 7Lxxxxxx was stamped reversed as L7xxxxxx. Looking at the number 6 in the above pad stamp, the font doesn't look right. But I'm only going by what my L35 was stamped on a Feb 67 motor. Check out my reply #38 here that shows the number 6 :  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=10311.msg77958#msg77958

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

bertfam

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 10:48:27 PM »
As I said, you're going to have to have them chemically remove the paint and take better pictures of the pad. DO NOT USE SANDPAPER or anything else abrasive.

Ed
Ed "Bert" Bertrand
email me!

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 01:23:26 AM »
Ground control to Major_Tom:
Sorry, no offense, I couldn't help myself.

I seriously doubt an L78 would be installed in lieu of an L35 "accidently" on the assembly line.
Unless the car has an impeccable restoration, 68k for a NOM 4N car seems like a lot.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 03:47:12 AM »
I think someone restored it this way. Tag looks OK and I'm pretty sure the block is a restamp.
I agree, $68K is a lot.
Kurt S
CRG

anything