Author Topic: Matching Wheel Spoke Finish ?  (Read 3938 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Matching Wheel Spoke Finish ?
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:11:53 PM »
Picked up some sets of wheels on a recent trip. Americans, Rally's etc...  One of the sets of American's has spokes with different finishes. A set of 4-15" X 6" "American Racing Equipment" Aluminum Sport Wheel. I guess that would be commonly called Aluminum Torque Thrust. Two of the wheels came in the dark finish, { LEFT } and 2 are light { RIGHT }. WITHOUT  glass beading them and turning them brite white, how can I get the spoke finishes to match a factory finish? Anybody have any experience with getting them clean and matched? Pressure wash seems to inconsistent to control and harsh. Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: Matching Wheel Spoke Finish ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 07:16:16 PM »
more

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 07:51:11 PM »
Nice wheels Danny...
Do you think the darker pair were on the front of a disc brake car?  - Disc brake dust in the grain could make them appear a shade or two darker.
IF you haven't washed them yet... I would use some polmolive or light dish soap and a stiff bristled brush and see if the suds came up dirty.
SHORT OF THE ABOVE..
 IMHO The color appears VERY close and if not pointed out specifically I doubt most would see any difference ESPECIALLY if they were paired together -(I have 6 years of art school including study in color theory along with light refraction.) 
I would run one pair on the left side of the car and the other pair on the right side. UNLESS YOU bring someone's attention to it, they are not going to know or see the difference.
PERSONALLY I would be afraid of damaging the beautiful dark "magnesium" finish in trying to do anything harsher than washing them to only one pair.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 08:39:48 PM »
Those wheels came in those finishes. I can,t remember if it was a time period difference or a selection but it is factory.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 10:55:43 PM »
Nice wheels Danny...
Do you think the darker pair were on the front of a disc brake car?  - Disc brake dust in the grain could make them appear a shade or two darker.
IF you haven't washed them yet... I would use some polmolive or light dish soap and a stiff bristled brush and see if the suds came up dirty.
SHORT OF THE ABOVE..
 IMHO The color appears VERY close and if not pointed out specifically I doubt most would see any difference ESPECIALLY if they were paired together -(I have 6 years of art school including study in color theory along with light refraction.) 
I would run one pair on the left side of the car and the other pair on the right side. UNLESS YOU bring someone's attention to it, they are not going to know or see the difference.
PERSONALLY I would be afraid of damaging the beautiful dark "magnesium" finish in trying to do anything harsher than washing them to only one pair.

Ditto on pairing left and right. Unless that's just factory finish difference's, that's likely how they discolored with age.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 01:48:26 AM »
Yes, nice for sure. I was very lucky to get them. Don't worry, I PAID for them. I need one more if anybody has one. I think it would be cool to pop the trunk and have one face up. Good idea on the good cleaning first. Not sure about if they were exposed to disc brake dust. They were purchased approx. 13 to 15 years apart in sets of 2. 2 dark 2 light... So who knows for sure. I do remember being able to get them in a darker/lighter spoke finish from new. Unless I am talking myself into that info. I thought of your trick about side to side. But I think it would drive me somewhat crazy. I will work on getting them clean. Then I need to chuck them up on a brake lathe or similar. I use various pads/cleaners/polishers to get them all shined up! 

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 02:10:00 AM »
I noticed 2 of the valve stem washers were pulling through. The OD of the washer doesn't work well on Americans. The valve stem hole is bigger than on steel wheels. So I bought some expansion well nuts and cut the brass nut out and changed all 4. And now there is much more surface for sealing. 5/16ths -18 worked perfect. Got lucky and picked the right size on the first try. $2.59 each and a few minutes later Bob's your Uncle! And Robert's your Dad's Brother  :D

First pick shows the small washer that comes with the valve stems new. Then expansion nuts, cut, installed.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 02:11:13 AM »
Ready to Install, brass cut out.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 02:13:35 AM »
Installed. Fits in the hole very snug, centers the stem. And has MUCH more surface area for sealing. I was proud of myself for thinking of that. But maybe it's already an old trick?  Danny

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 11:27:46 AM »
What car do you plan to run them on Danny?
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »
Kelley,
 Not sure yet. But I think one of the '68 Camaro's because they look better on '68's. 15" X 7" to me, doesn't look right on '68 because they stick out to far. The 15" X 6" tucks in nice on a '68. Probably one of the cars that has been judged at MCACN & Jerry MacNeish. Don't have to worry about those because they have been through the whole "Is this a real Z/28" thing at over 150 shows. I REALLY like the look of Americans. Had several sets in HS and in my 20's and 30's, but they were ALL Ford. I liked '65/'66 Mustang fastbacks back then. You just don't see Americans on '68 Camaros often. Can't even find pictures of a '68 online with Americans. Don't care for the flowered wheels, just the Torque Thrust for me.
 Anyway Maybe I'll post a pic when they are mounted. ... Danny

usa1ti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 12:20:47 PM »
Here are the same Americans on my 69. I have always liked the old school look.
Todd, East TN

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 03:07:31 PM »
VERY NICE! Love that look. Are those original vintage Americans or Modern? ... Danny

hrlyfxdl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 06:24:54 PM »
I've been on the lookout for a nice vintage set of ARE torques for awhile now, 15s, for my 68 and I've run across many adds here and there that say "Vintage". But I've always been skeptical because they are from people selling I don't know or outside my main sites I watch, as I don't really know what type of script, ID marks, back of wheel look, etc. to look for that would truly ID them as vintage. Does anyone know where there may be a write up about this that I could read, or experts willing to weigh in on what to look for? Any help would be great. Thanks so much!
1968 Camaro SS 350 8L34677?
07A  E107  TR 712  U-U

5hane

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 07:09:24 PM »
I would think all the info you need would be in my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pictures above. Maybe look at a new wheel ad picture and compare. Also you have the outside flat polished part, then the next section in should run at an angle to the next polished 3rd section, new wheels have that area straight. I THINK...So new is flat polished outside, then direct 90 degrees towards the wheel is the next polished section, and then another flat polished section back flat again. I could get ya some pictures of what I am explaining if need be. If ya see an ad that matches my wheel above, please LMK, as I need one more wheel. Danny