Author Topic: Classic Car Restorer Indicted On Fraud Charges  (Read 1791 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Classic Car Restorer Indicted On Fraud Charges
« on: August 17, 2021, 06:01:38 PM »
Posting as a public service announcement.

Article HERE.

Ed

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Car Restorer Indicted On Fraud Charges
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 06:39:45 PM »
IF found guilty, this dirtbag deserves life in prison. This, among some other notable so-called shops who screwed people of their dreams and money are the lowest form of scum in our hobby. Your story reminds me of two that pops out in my memory: The Texas company that was 'converting' those Mustangs into the Eleanor cars. It was raided by the FBI for alleged money laundering fraud and VIN tampering. They were closed down/out of business, and the cars were either scrapped or sold off. Another one happened many years ago in LA's San Fernando Valley to a Mopar resto shop. Also, raided by the FBI for alleged VIN swapping/tampering and selling 383 cars as 426 Hemi's, making huge dollar profits. I don't know IF the owner or shop was charged or closed.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 07:26:57 PM »
I guess it's all about perception. Didn't Shelby make a deal with the state to use inmate labor to produce several '66 Shelby Mustangs a few years before his death? And I know there was a company turning regular Mustangs into Shelbys just a few years ago complete with any options you desired including IRS.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:22:52 PM »
I guess it's all about perception. Didn't Shelby make a deal with the state to use inmate labor to produce several '66 Shelby Mustangs a few years before his death? And I know there was a company turning regular Mustangs into Shelbys just a few years ago complete with any options you desired including IRS.

I do not know the back story on that one. Shelby was quite the BSer no doubt. Some of his dealings got him into hot water a number of years ago with the California DMV. He was 'claiming' he had some leftover 1965 Cobra frames, and was going to build new/old Cobras and sell them for big money. I believe the DMV said not so fast...Don't know the outcome on it either. Most likely  'ol Shels good luck prevailed.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 10:49:00 PM »
I had forgotten the spare serial number plates he found. I am not siding with these thieves it's just some can get the blessing of the Gov't and others go to jail. I think anyone that misrepresents a car is dishonest.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new