Author Topic: 4 speed with air  (Read 1786 times)

Dave C.

• View Profile
4 speed with air
« on: August 11, 2021, 11:47:53 PM »
A friend of mine has a 67 convertible with air.  He thinks it was a four speed, but does not have holes for speedo cable and clips.  Another person says because of AC it would not have Speedo cable in usual Muncie location behind distributor.  Is that correct?  Anyone have a car by which they car verify?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 4 speed with air
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 12:20:39 AM »
All cars with the Muncie transmission had the speedometer cable hole above the throttle lever (as shown HERE) including A/C cars. However, just because it may have been a 4 speed, doesn't mean it was a Muncie. The Saginaw 4 speed speedometer cable went through the "non-Muncie hole" as shown in the link I posted.

Ed

Dave C.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 01:15:56 AM »
Could a 67 ss come with a Saginaw then?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 01:22:40 AM »
Could a 67 ss come with a Saginaw then?

Yes, but not a Saginaw 4 speed.

If it's purported to be an SS and purported to have come with a manual transmission, it either came with a Muncie 4 speed, a Saginaw 3 speed or a Borg Warner heavy duty 3 speed. Of the three, only the Muncie would have come with the speedometer hole above the throttle lever.

Post a picture of the trim tag.

Ed

Dave C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 12:25:50 AM »
That’s the problem, there is no tag and I believe it’s just a plain Jane which someone threw a few SS pieces on to sell.  I just don’t want to give the owner misleading info in case there was a chance it came equipped so.  Luckily he’s accepted that’s most likely the case. 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 02:29:39 AM »
Check the rear axle numbers and date. And what's the VIN? if the rear axle is original, it might help.

Ed

anything