Author Topic: 1969 Camaro AC  (Read 4303 times)

zegret

• View Profile
1969 Camaro AC
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:35:41 AM »
I have a 1969 RS that I just picked up, but does not have the original engine.  Based on what I see in the interior, I think the car came with AC, but there is nothing in the engine bay left that supports that.  I figured it was taken out with the engine, but can't be sure.  Is there a code on the trim tag that would indicate AC?  The climate controls in the car has a bar for "cold" and it has multiple vents and tags on the dash that make it seem like it had AC once upon a time.  I am new to the site and am learning everything I can, so forgive me if this has been addressed before!  Any help would be appreciated!

David
1969 Coupe
1969 RS
1980 Z28
2002 SS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro AC
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:48:11 AM »
Nothing on the trim tag will indicate if the car had A/C.  Of course there will be a huge fiberglass box on the passenger side of the engine compartment, whenre the evaporator core is located.  If it has a heater system only there will be a metal peice of ductwork that is about 8" high that runs from the passenger side fender to just behind the passenger side head on the engine.  If the car doesn't have any ductwork on the firewall, and the hole thru the firewall for the ventilation system is roughly 6" tall by 12" wide then the car did not have A/C, if the hole is about 6" wide by 10" tall then the car had a/C.  There is a pnuematic damper under the cowl on the passenger side of the car on a/c cars.  You can see the edge of it sticking out from under the cowl panel on the top of the firewall just inboard of the passenger side hood hinge.  If your dash has a center vent above the heater controls, only one slider on each kickpanel (as opposed to a pair of sliders on each), no vent on the drivers side kickpanel then the car came with A/C.

The control on an A/C car will say bi-level on the slider closest to the driver, and have a 4 speed fan switch across the top of the control.  Non AC cars only have three speed fans.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:52:13 AM »
David, I have a non-AC car and my temperature selector has cold on it.  I believe an AC equipped car will have AC on the selector.  You should also be able to tell my the outside heater box.    Thanks Mark, you beat me to it. ;)

Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

zegret

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 03:40:06 AM »
Thanks Mark and John for the informaiton.  I will take a closer look when I get home from my business trip.  Can't wait to dive in and get to work on this car! 

BTW, John, I notice you are from Destin...I was born at Eglin AFB and my folks still live in Ft. Walton.  Small world!

David
1969 Coupe
1969 RS
1980 Z28
2002 SS

anything