Author Topic: Documenting Complete Restoration  (Read 6462 times)

fladoans

• View Profile
Documenting Complete Restoration
« on: December 06, 2005, 06:56:01 PM »
Is there a proper way to document a complete restoration of my 69? I have to replace almost all the sheet metal, but I am specifically worried about the Dash and Firewall and remoing the VIN and Trim Tag. I car in a non A/C car and the passenger side cowl was completely rusted away so I did not find the hidden VIN there. The upper cowl has to be replaced, but the hidden VIN is there - but very rusted. Once all these parts are replaced, it is going to be obvious the VIN and Trim tag have be removed/replaced. How do I go about proving they are the originals - even though there will be no hidden VIN's left?

m22mike

• View Profile
Re: Documenting Complete Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:54:17 PM »
After restoring 4 69 Camaros and a couple A body's I can't stress enough how important taking "LOTS OF PICTURES" is . Get a decent dgital camera and keep it handy. Talk some tight in shots of the cowl tag in place on the old sheetmetal too. When your all done it is nice to make a album to pass along with the car if you ever sell it.
                                                                                         Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

fladoans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 05:24:40 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I already have digital camera and have taken lots of pictures. Sometime that's the only way I can remember what something is supposed to look like. The album idea is nice and I think I will do that. I was also going to keep the upper cowl with the VIN number.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:24:35 AM »
I agree.  You cant take too many pictures, especially detail shots.  A Z im building now, I have about 300 dig/4 rolls film pics of, and its just now in the re-assembly stage.  Will probably be close to 500 when all is done.  I also draw out a lot of diagrams and take a lot of notes along the way.

dave
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com