Author Topic: Replacing incorrect RS grille/headlights with standard grill/headlights  (Read 2802 times)

vabeach56wagon

• View Profile
Ours is not an RS car. The PO liked the RS front and spent $$ for the electric RS complete assembly. We like the look but have decided to replace it with a correct standard grill/headlight assembly.

It's an X33 D80 car. I believe the headlight bezels should have chrome trim over an argent base, the grill is argent, its surround is brightwork (chrome) and the outer escutcheon is body color.

Is that assumption correct?

Thanks

paul

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Yes; tail lamps should have bright trim on the vertical ribs. Black painted rockers except colors 51, 57, 61, 67.
Learning more and more about less and less...

x66 714

• View Profile
Paul. You understand it correctly...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
If the PO decided to do the conversion DID they use RS fenders?
RS and standard fenders have different tabs for the headlamp mounts.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
67-68 fenders are unique to standard or RS; a 69 RS fender will work for either.
Learning more and more about less and less...

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
67-68 fenders are unique to standard or RS; a 69 RS fender will work for either.
WOW I stand corrected I had been under impression the fenders are different.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

vabeach56wagon

• View Profile
If the PO decided to do the conversion DID they use RS fenders?
RS and standard fenders have different tabs for the headlamp mounts.

No…strictly the kit.

All sheet metal in car is virgin.

paul

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile

I, like firstgenaddict, thought the 69 RS fenders were unique as well.  Learn something new everyday. 

The following was posted back in 2007 describing the differences that I was aware of between a standard vs RS Camaro  (http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2195.msg13943#msg13943).  The following is excerpted from that post:  (Note - the first thing listed is different outer fenders, but due to William's clarification, that can be disregarded).

The differences between a RS and the standard body included (in 1969):

"different outer fenders, different inner fenders, different grille, hideaway headlights (based on vacuum actuated, articulating, headlight mounting bracket to rotate the headlight covers in and back in the open position), inner and outer headlight door covers, vacuum cannisters, mounting brackets for the vacuum cannisters, vacuum reservoir, relay valve and the associated vacuum lines, different headlight switch with vacuum hose connections, different windshield wiper switch (2 dentent positions, first detent routes water to the windshield washer nozzles, second detent routes water to the headlight washer nozzles which spray water on the headlights), headlight washer nozzles, diverter valve on the windshield washer pump, water tubing from the diverter valve to the headlight washers, and even a difference in the front header panel to accomodate the headlight washers themselves --- even down to the miniscule items like the bracket that holds the windshield washer bottle - it is in a different location on a RS.  And this doesn't include the Style Trim RPO Z21 items that are a part of RPO Z22, the RS package."

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

vabeach56wagon

• View Profile
This car has none of the requisite RS features other than the electric operating doors, grill and surround. It is totally electric. No other elements of an RS are present.

It looks good. We like it. But for the sake of originality I'll be pulling all of the kit components off the car and replacing with the standard assembly.

paul

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
I, like firstgenaddict, thought the 69 RS fenders were unique as well.  Learn something new everyday. 
William did not say 69 RS fenders were not unique - he said they will work with a std front.
I took this picture that shows the difference: http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml#rs
Kurt S
CRG