Author Topic: Header recommendation.....'68 small block with factory power steering  (Read 2587 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
I am looking for a recommendation on headers for my '68 with power steering and the original Saginaw power steering box.....I am looking for 1 5/8" primary tubes in ceramic coated or stainless ( some protection other than just paint)

I have a new small block crate motor, and a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system in 2 1/2 diameter stainless steel sitting here in the box waiting for headers so that I can install it.

I know of the problems people sometimes have with headers clearing the power steering box. I have searched the site for recommendations but most of the post are several years old.

In these posts, I did see Hooker Competition and Hooker Super Competition mentioned as clearing the power steering box without problem. Hooker also states in their description that they will work with power steering.

When I looked at the Hookers on Summit though, I was pretty discouraged by the reviews. There are some good reviews but an equal number of bad ones. Some regarding fitment but more so regarding the poor quality of the finish!......One reviewer mentioned that one header is lower to the ground than the other one by a couple of inches. I read somewhere in the product description that one side is lower than the other so that these headers will work for multiple applications but it never said by how much.......If that difference is actually two inches, that is something I wouldn't want and I'm not sure how I would mate the pre-bent Flowmaster pipes to one header that much lower than the other one anyhow.

So just looking for a recommendation on a header that will clear the power steering box, has a decent finish on it, and will mate well to the Flowmaster system.

cook_dw

• View Profile
Being a former employee of Holley and having hands on experience with the Hooker and Flowtech lines back many years ago now, I can say that once Holley moved the Hooker manufacturing to Mexico the quality suffered even though the same jigs were used (and still used today I would assume) the personal experience and care was lost.  Now that the manufacturing has been moved back to the states I would HOPE that the quality and care has improved.  My experiences with header manufacturers is there are good sets and there are bad sets.  I have no skin in the game when it comes to which is the best but I have had good success with Hooker Headers and American Racing Headers.  As I get older I am more into the vintage "Day 2" components like headers and I gravitate  towards the older items as you had more unique appearances.Truth be told just about all headers will perform the same within reason when comparing the same primary sizes.  Its only when you are wanting to squeeze out every last hp you can is when the header design and sizing really matters.  I usually tell people if I were the one buying the headers I would purchase a set of standard painted headers of whichever manufacturer you desire and test fit them before having them coated (or just go with a 304 stainless).  Yes it sucks and yes it costs more in the long run but I see it like painting a car.  You test fit all the panels and components and get them dialed in before the final finish is applied.  In 50 plus years now  metal will move and there are tolerance stack ups that are to be considered.  Unfortunately/fortunately the internet magnifies the praises as well as the problems.. There's my worthless $0.02

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply.

I posted the same question over at TC. After looking over all the different recommendations here and there, considering price, and how soon I could get them. I am going to give the Doug's D308's a try.

Dave

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
I agree with cook_dw that I would go with painted headers as you can just touch them up after installation.  As for Hooker Super Competition headers, they are designed to maximize performance and you can have problems with ground clearance and the length of the collectors can make them difficult to install.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
In my opinion, Hedman headers aka 'Hedders' are my choice. Reasonable in price, easy fit and better quality than Hooker.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

BH69Z/28

• View Profile
I installed the Dougs D308's in my 69 Z28 and they cleared the power steering box with ease. I left them in their plastic bags when positioning them in place to help prevent any scratches.

169INDY

• View Profile
BH69Z/28, How did you "deal" with the back-drive linkage dilemma?

Pics?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

BH69Z/28

• View Profile
Jim, my car doesn't have the the reverse lockout system. I think I wouldn't have been able to use it if I had it. For the return spring, I reversed their order by attaching the spring to the clutch fork and the rod to the engine mount. I made a new rod out of straight wire. I have some pictures but they're too large to attach. I will email them to you if you send your email address.
Brian

rsr

• View Profile
 I thought when Holley bought Hooker around 2009 they moved the manufacturing from Mexico to Mississippi and that's where the problems started? I was in contact with Miguel Lopez who ran the manufacturing facility in Mexico. I also spoken many times with Jerry Duckworth a long time employee and both said the fixtures and master sets were left behind? Anyways I'd avoid any Hookers made after 2009 myself.

anything