Author Topic: Pocket Porting  (Read 2295 times)

WaltZ

• View Profile
Pocket Porting
« on: June 25, 2021, 07:41:08 PM »
Any thoughts on Pocket Porting 302 heads.
will it add or detract overall value.
will it add noticible performance benefits
thanks in advance.

usa1ti

• View Profile
Re: Pocket Porting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
I would not do anything to detract from the originality. The extra 12hp or ?  you will gain will be negligible when driving the car. I would Enjoy the car and motor for what it is. If you are after power put a 302 air cleaner, intake and valve covers on a 434 sbc and tell everyone its a 302.
Todd, East TN

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
I just built a 355 with camel humps.  No I did not grind on them at all.  Set them up with screw-in rocker studs and pushrod guide plates like GM did in 1970.  New guides to help the valve job last longer.  Did not mess with hardened seats either.  Just not required for the use they will see from now on.  All I was looking for was good as new and reliable. 

If I wanted to go faster (for even less money), I would have bought some aftermarket heads.

WaltZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 04:32:24 PM »
thanks and I agree, I have decided to leave them alone too.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 01:45:59 AM »
Pocket porting is not worth the time or money.  Doing a "bowl job" is the best bang for the buck and it does not change the combustion chamber much at all.  That's good for about 30-35 hp.  We did Charlie Lingenfelter's '67 Z28 cylinder heads and with stock cam the engine was 400+ hp. 

FYI, Hendrick Motorsports is now doing our machine work for stock restoration rebuilds.  Jeff Andrews at HMS came up with a plan and it's working out well.  Now generating 10-15% more hp on the dyno too.  Hendrick technology.  What a gift to have an engine shop at the top of the food chain doing work for us.  HMS is also sponsoring our Stock Eliminator '67 Z28, thanks to Jeff Andrews.  Just living the dream here at CHP.           

Jerry

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 01:25:57 AM »
Pocket porting is not worth the time or money.  Doing a "bowl job" is the best bang for the buck and it does not change the combustion chamber much at all.  That's good for about 30-35 hp.  We did Charlie Lingenfelter's '67 Z28 cylinder heads and with stock cam the engine was 400+ hp. 

FYI, Hendrick Motorsports is now doing our machine work for stock restoration rebuilds.  Jeff Andrews at HMS came up with a plan and it's working out well.  Now generating 10-15% more hp on the dyno too.  Hendrick technology.  What a gift to have an engine shop at the top of the food chain doing work for us.  HMS is also sponsoring our Stock Eliminator '67 Z28, thanks to Jeff Andrews.  Just living the dream here at CHP.           

Jerry

Pocket porting is cleaning up the abrupt transitions in the bowl within 1.5" below the valve seat where the factory cutters have left sharp edges.  Bowl job? vs pocket porting?   Are we talking the same thing here?

anything