Author Topic: 68 Trunk Restoration  (Read 4450 times)

bbd564

• View Profile
68 Trunk Restoration
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I am restoring the trunk of my 68 that has the custom interior option.  I mention that as the custom interior comes with additional body insulation, some of it is in the trunk.  Can anyone describe the extra insulation that would be in the trunk so I can accurately duplicate it?  The car has all original metal and unfortunately someone spray bombed the trunk.

As far as extra insulation goes the car has an asbestos? mat about 12" x 34" which sits on the floor toward the forward part of the trunk. Was the mat installed before the trunk spatter paint was sprayed or after the paint was applied?  Also the insides of the quarters have what appears to be undercoating sprayed on them?  I would imagine that the undercoat was applied prior to the spaying of the spatter paint.  Was there any other areas in the trunk that were sprayed with any other sound deadening material?

And finally, who has the best product for getting close to the original spatter paint appearance?  And yes I know that most of this will be covered up by the trunk mat..but I do try to do it correctly.

Thanks for any help you can offer

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Re: 68 Trunk Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
  Since you indicate your car is a deluxe interior car, ...the one thing I know for sure is that it would have then received the rubber trunk mat. As for extra insulation? ...the only thing I can think of is the jute padded insulation that goes behind the back seat. As for an 'asbestos' mat (actually paper backed tar-like, ...similar to/the same as that under the interior carpet) I do believe there was something in the forward area of the trunk (where the trunk floor goes up over the axle area), ... but not in the 'well of the trunk.
   Undercoating was sprayed in the inside quarters (usually pretty rough/sloppy looking, ...but hey, that is how it was). I believe the spatter paint was sprayed over the undercoat, ...as for suppliers, ...I've usually found that what Rick's 1st gen carries is pretty good stuff.

bbd564

• View Profile
Re: 68 Trunk Restoration
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:46:47 PM »
KevinK.  Thanks for the response.  What you describe is exactly what I have.  Undercoat sprayed in the inside of the quarters (and some blobs of undercoat on the trunk floor where the guy doing the spraying sort of missed the quarters).  Jute padded insulation behind the rear seat back.  The rubber trunk mat.  And the mat is what you describe (paper backed with tar?) and located in the forward area of the trunk (where the trunk floor is on a slant to go up over the axle).  The well of the trunk did not receive anything special.

Unless someone else chimes in, I am assuming my trunk is correct for a deluxe interior car as it matches what Kevin describes.

My only questions at this point is, did the the paper backed tar mat the is on the forward portion of the trunk get sprayed with spatter paint?  Or was it applied to the floor after the spatter paint was applied?.

Of course any thoughts on the best product to get close to the original spatter paint would be appreciated.