Author Topic: VN built 69 Camaro with a Firebird VIN on the transmission?  (Read 8352 times)

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
OK, I got a bit of a surprise when I removed the Muncie M-20 from my Van Nuys built L35 car to install a clutch.  Car is a 10A build, engine VIN checks out, but the Muncie has a completely weird looking VIN stamped on it.  It is a faint stamping and pretty hard to read the last 2 digits, but it appears to be "76L103238".  It has a date stamp of P9P10, which seems to fall into the acceptable range of when the car was built.  I have owned this car for 25 years, it has a very solid set of documents including the build sheet, warranty transfer plate, a lot of old receipts, and a very extensive log book that was kept by the second owner (bought it in 1972) that lists every fuel stop and maintenance entry all the way up until the early 80's.  To my knowledge, I am the third registered owner of the car, although it passed through the hands of a few collectors before I ended up with it.

A couple of other idiosyncrasies are that it has a jack sticker for a Firebird under the decklid, and a Firebird deluxe rear seat bottom.

I am aware that they were also building Firebirds on this line at the same time.  Being an early build, it sounds like maybe they were having some supply chain issues or some other confusion.  The second owner documents one clutch replacement while he owned the car, done at a GM dealership.  It seems like the odds that someone would swap in a Firebird M-20 that happened to be built at Van Nuys with that date code would be kind of slim, and based on what else I know about the car, I feel fairly confident that it left the factory this way.  Can anybody provide any insight as to how this could have been botched like this?  I'm sure some will argue that someone swapped that transmission into the car somewhere along the way, but I would be very surprised if this was the case, although I guess it may be possible.

Looking forward to hearing some comments.  Anyone ever seen anything like this?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: VN built 69 Camaro with a Firebird VIN on the transmission?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »
Can you post pictures of the partial VIN and the suffix? The partial VIN "76Lxxx" isn't normal. It should be 19Lxxxx for a Camaro, or 29Lxxx for a Firebird.

The chances of a Firebird transmission being installed in a Camaro at the factory is slim at best. The engine and transmission were gang stamped as an assembled unit (in other words, the transmission was mated to the engine, then both were stamped), so the only way to get a Firebird Muncie in a Camaro would be to also have a Firebird ENGINE in a Camaro!

From John's FIRST-GENERATION CAMARO ASSENBLY PROCESS:

In the engine schedule area, the operator grabbed the next Broadcast Copy from the printer, verified the sequence number, noted the engine code required for that car, and moved an air-powered overhead hoist on traveling bridge rails over the correct engine rack. The specified engine was hoisted out of the rack and transferred to the next hook on the overhead engine dress line conveyor, where the throwout bearing (on manuals) was greased and installed, along with the clutch fork boot. Another operator on the other side of the line repeated the process with the specified transmission, which was then installed and bolted to the engine; on automatics, an air tool was used to rotate the flexplate, and the converter bolts were driven, followed by the lower cover.

The VIN derivative numbers were stamped in the next operation on both the engine pad and the transmission, using a gang-stamp holder and a hammer.

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
OK, I got a bit of a surprise when I removed the Muncie M-20 from my Van Nuys built L35 car to install a clutch.  Car is a 10A build, engine VIN checks out, but the Muncie has a completely weird looking VIN stamped on it.  It is a faint stamping and pretty hard to read the last 2 digits, but it appears to be "76L103238".  It has a date stamp of P9P10, which seems to fall into the acceptable range of when the car was built.  I have owned this car for 25 years, it has a very solid set of documents including the build sheet, warranty transfer plate, a lot of old receipts, and a very extensive log book that was kept by the second owner (bought it in 1972) that lists every fuel stop and maintenance entry all the way up until the early 80's.  To my knowledge, I am the third registered owner of the car, although it passed through the hands of a few collectors before I ended up with it.

A couple of other idiosyncrasies are that it has a jack sticker for a Firebird under the decklid, and a Firebird deluxe rear seat bottom.

I am aware that they were also building Firebirds on this line at the same time.  Being an early build, it sounds like maybe they were having some supply chain issues or some other confusion.  The second owner documents one clutch replacement while he owned the car, done at a GM dealership.  It seems like the odds that someone would swap in a Firebird M-20 that happened to be built at Van Nuys with that date code would be kind of slim, and based on what else I know about the car, I feel fairly confident that it left the factory this way.  Can anybody provide any insight as to how this could have been botched like this?  I'm sure some will argue that someone swapped that transmission into the car somewhere along the way, but I would be very surprised if this was the case, although I guess it may be possible.

Looking forward to hearing some comments.  Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Never seen one stamped like that. You have a PM.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 01:59:15 PM »
Did they build Firebirds at Van Nuys? I thought it was a Norwood thing.
Jimmy V.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 02:04:44 PM »
Did they build Firebirds at Van Nuys?

Norwood started building Firebirds in April of 1969, but Van Nuys built them in 1968 and 1969. As a matter of fact, the Van Nuys plant assembled the very first Trans-Am! (see below)

Van Nuys also built Chevrolet full size cars. They were a busy bunch of surfer dudes!!

Ed
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 03:18:26 PM by bertfam »

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:26:48 AM »
Well, the surfer dudes who built my car must have been smoking something, because they put the wrong seat and decklid sticker on it too.  There are a couple of pretty experienced Camaro collectors who know the car.  I am not saying that somewhere along the way someone didn't swap some things out.  But it would come as quite a surprise to me, considering the car's history.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 04:01:53 AM »
Well, the surfer dudes who built my car must have been smoking something, because they put the wrong seat and decklid sticker on it too.  There are a couple of pretty experienced Camaro collectors who know the car.  I am not saying that somewhere along the way someone didn't swap some things out.  But it would come as quite a surprise to me, considering the car's history.
You should post some pictures for us....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »
I am in communication with one of the long-time CRG members and he is going to forward the pictures of the VIN on to a couple of Camaro experts to evaluate it.  I will post them when I pull them off my phone.  I'm not great with posting them straight off my phone to the site.  Once we figure out what happened (if), I'll post the pictures up for all to see.  It truly is an odd thing.  I always thought the trunk sticker was strange, and I am 100% sure that it's the decklid that came on the car.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 04:48:44 PM »
100% means CERTAINTY...    Were you there in the factory when they made this monstumental screwup???
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 05:13:17 PM »
I never said it was impossible, only slim. There's one scenario where this could happen:

Line workers mate the engine and transmission together and the incorrect Firebird partial VIN is stamped on the transmission. The mistake is discovered and the line worker grabs the CORRECT  gang stamp and stamps the correct Camaro partial VIN on the engine pad.

However, in this scenario, the mistake would have (SHOULD HAVE) been fixed by X'ing out the incorrect Firebird partial VIN and restamping the correct Camaro partial VIN on the transmission. Or at the very least, stamping the correct Camaro partial VIN on the transmission.

Do you also have the correct CAMARO partial VIN stamp on the transmission or just the incorrect Firebird?

What "decklid sticker" are you referring to? Posi sticker? Jacking sticker?

And there have been other Camaros that have been rumored to have Firebird seats, but nothing firm.

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 02:33:35 PM »
I received permission to post the transmission stamps.

This is quite puzzling but it probably is not the original one for this car. The 6 digit sequence number could fit for a Firebird but the 76 at the start is just odd. Never seen anything like that before.

Others may have a different opinion.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 02:54:37 PM »
Transmission side cover is 3950306 - correct for 69 M20.
Metal tag is 3950356 - correct for 69 M20.
Tail housing is 3857584 - correct for 69 M20. I know Chevrolet used this for the passenger side speedometer.  Some Pontiacs used the 429 tail housing.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 03:33:21 PM »
A 6 or upside down 9..?.

My guess is someone was little hung over and grabbed a 7 instead of a 2 and had the 9 upside down..  Only thing that makes sense to me.  Yes I am grasping at straws.  Also no A, B or C.

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »
Ed, I was referring to the sticker on the underside of the trunk lid for the jack instructions.  Mine has a Firebird on it.  I believe it to be original.  I also have deluxe comfortweave, and the rear seat bottom has the larger Firebird pattern rather than Camaro.

I have read several articles about the VN plant that they had a lot of quality control and employee morale problems.  If the idiosyncracies on this car are in fact as it rolled off the line, then I think that is supported.

I know I probably sound like an idiot saying that I believe that these things are original to the car, but the documentation and background of the car support it.  Maybe I was sold a bill of goods when I bought the car from a local collector, but he has long handled a lot of high end Chevy's and I think he has a pretty good reputation.  But I am not going to name names until I have a little bit better idea what's going on here.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 04:00:16 PM »
The transmission may be fine.

I can’t for sure say that it’s golden though.

Could just be a factory screw up.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 04:44:53 PM »
The VIN is low enough that the trans should not have the ABC suffix.

Dave Beem's One owner 05C L78 conv has a firebird lower seat cushion.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »
The VIN is low enough that the trans should not have the ABC suffix.

Good catch.. 

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »
Nobody was ever arguing that is should have an A code on it. Were they?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 06:00:28 PM »
I said it had no A, B or C.  I was wrong on the implementation dates of the code.  For some reason I had it started in Sept of 68 not Oct..  James corrected my mistake.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »
Got it.

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 08:31:21 PM »
Another thing that is weird with this transmission is that it appears that it never had the O-shaped magnet installed in the bottom of the main case.  No sign of any glue or residue.  I am torn between leaving it like it is and just buying a magnetic drain plug for the side and getting one and epoxying it in there.

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 10:29:34 PM »
I've owned a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am that was built at the Van Nuys Plant since 1986 and have all the original documents for the vehicle, which include the window sticker, dealer invoice, warranties and maintenance invoices, and can say that although the VIN number is stamped on the Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission, the block was never stamped.  For the 1979 model year, Pontiac shipped completed 400 cu inch engines to Van Nuys in 1978 and the engines were stored in an area next to the Cushion Room by the train tracks.  You could identify the Pontiac 400 engines as they had chrome valve covers.  The 400 engines for 1979 had an engine identification code of "PWH" instead of code "WC" that was used in 1978 for the Firebirds with 4-speed transmissions.  Although I believe that the engine in my Trans Am is the original motor and has never been rebuilt, even though I was an employee at the plant when the car was built, I can't say what happened with my car as I wasn't the operator stamping the VIN numbers.

I also own a 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang and the last VIN number stamped on the transmission should be a "7," but shows a "2."  The VIN numbers were stamped individually on the block and transmission in 1970 at the Dearborn Plant and I would find it difficult to believe that the transmission isn't the original, but I would only be speculating.

I will say that we didn't have air conditioning on the assembly line at Van Nuys when I worked there and during the summer, it got so hot, especially on the second floor where we used water-based paint.  Not an easy place to work, but in general, everyone did the best we could as few wanted to be transferred to another location if the plant was closed.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 01:41:34 AM »
I've owned a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am that was built at the Van Nuys Plant since 1986 and have all the original documents for the vehicle, which include the window sticker, dealer invoice, warranties and maintenance invoices, and can say that although the VIN number is stamped on the Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission, the block was never stamped.

Congrats, very few made.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 01:19:35 PM »
You could run the firebird VIN through PHS just to see what comes up.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 08:01:09 PM »
Kelley, are you talking about the partial VIN that was on my transmission, or the fellow with the 79?  My problem is that it is not a valid VIN - I suppose I could take a guess on it, but there are different number sequences depending on whether coupe or convertible.  Also, it is almost impossible to make out the last two numbers.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »
Wouldn’t make any sense in my mind to run the partial on the M20 with PHS. It’s not in a Firebird.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 09:42:29 PM »
Looks to me like they just stamped the wrong VIN on it on the engine dress line. I've seen this before and I've seen a Firebird engine with a Camaro VIN.
Kurt S
CRG

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2021, 06:29:26 PM »
I would keep it all as is. Maybe more like it will show up with similar build times.

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
Oh believe me, I'm not changing anything that would affect the car's originality.  Just cleaning things up and fixing things like oil leaks.  I reluctantly replaced the u-joints, only because they were getting a little questionable after all those years.  Would prefer to have the originals in there.

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 05:59:56 PM »
Seat and sticker could have easily been added in the years prior. to your ownership. I am not buying the trans being a goof up.
You owned it 25 years but that gets it back to mid 90's and there is another 25 years that things could have easily been changed out.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2021, 01:17:19 AM »
A little more information:

I checked the decklid for date codes, and it has a date code that falls in line with the build of the car.  That is an old sticker that has not been applied any time recently.  And why would someone put a Firebird jack sticker on a Camaro decklid many years after the fact?  When people fake things, they try to make them look as close to the norms as possible.

I was looking through my documents and came across the paperwork from when the second owner purchased the car in 1971 from Ellis Brooks Chevrolet in San Francisco.  On it is an imprint of the original protecto-plate for the car, showing the correct VIN that matches the car, the assembly date stamp that matches the engine, the exact same date stamp that appears on the transmission, and the rear end stamping.  In my mind, this puts this to rest as some type of factory aberration.  I think the odds that someone found a Muncie M-20 with the exact same stamp as the protecto-plate, along with a stange VIN that happens to have the Los Angeles "L" in the sequence are extremely slim.  If someone stamped the date on the case at a later date, why would the not stamp a matching VIN to the car as well?  This date code stamping on the transmission has already been verified as a legitimate stamping.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:44:26 AM by RSSSFanatic »

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
Well with that info, I would say that the Vin was a goof up and not a Firebird VIN but a Goofed Camaro VIN. The seat and sticker who knows.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

RSSSFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty goofy. :)

So how do you describe a car like this?  I suppose technically it's not "numbers matching", or at least not "VIN matching".  I guess you would describe it as "documented original drivetrain"?  Just curious in case I decide to list it somewhere.  Seems like you get a lot of grey area on this and some shady wording by some, although I think this car is about as honest as they come.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2021, 02:24:35 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty goofy. :)

So how do you describe a car like this?  I suppose technically it's not "numbers matching", or at least not "VIN matching".  I guess you would describe it as "documented original drivetrain"?  Just curious in case I decide to list it somewhere.  Seems like you get a lot of grey area on this and some shady wording by some, although I think this car is about as honest as they come.
“Born With Drive train” that term trumps all others as to describing a legitimate number matching car and that is how it should be referred. Anyone that knows these cars will understand what that means.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
The date on the POP for transmission assembly is the same as what is on the transmission. Now I am thinking there is a better than average chance of it being original to the car. The engine and axle are original.

anything