Author Topic: Picture request ...'68 BB AIR bracket installed...  (Read 6136 times)

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Picture request ...'68 BB AIR bracket installed...
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »
 Does anyone have a photo of their '68 BB (396 325/350) with the AIR pump bracket installed?
  I'm specifically interested in the bolt to the water pump. I believe the bracket goes over the 'hex collar' that is part of the bolt itself, ...then a nut over that (then the Neg. battery cable). I'm not 100% sure on this, ...and the AIM is not clear enough to detail it.

Also, ...the large 'plug' in the heads (where the temp sender should be), ...what 'size' is that square (in the plug) to remove it, ...more importantly what tool? (It's slightly smaller than a 3/8 socket shaft)

Thanks,
               Kevin
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 12:08:11 PM by KevinK »

Tinkerr

• View Profile
Re: Picture request ...'68 BB AIR bracket installed...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:49:34 PM »
I believe I used a 3/8 extension on mine. Make sure the hole doesn't have 39 yrs. of paint and crud in it.

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:49:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply, ...the head(s) are pretty clean, ...I even scraped out the little amount of paint, ...those square holes are definitely smaller than a 3/8 drive socket.
  ...not sure how I'm going to get this thing out yet...

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 05:40:45 AM »
Does anyone have a photo of their '68 BB (396 325/350) with the AIR pump bracket installed?
  I'm specifically interested in the bolt to the water pump. I believe the bracket goes over the 'hexnut' that is part of the bolt itself, ...then a nut over that (then the Neg. battery cable). I'm not 100% sure on this, ...and the AIM is not clear enough to detail it.

Thanks,
               Kevin

Well after looking at my Car and comparing it to the AIM, I think I can see where you are going with this.
1)   The AIM pump mounting sheet (V8) eng vaguely shows a hex collared stud for the water pump with the AIR pump mounting bracket on top of the extension and retained with a hex nut.  (UPC 6 Sheet A6)
2)   The AIM V-8 396 (l35) A.I.R. Equipment sheet illustration does not extend down enough to show the lower water pump mounting details. (UPC L35 Sheet A7)

I am not sure if my car is correct but, My A.I.R. pump BB396/325 mounting bracket is retained to the water pump ear by a single hex head bolt Grade 5 head marking “F”, with a lock washer. Then the battery ground cable lug, Then A.I.R bracket. There does not seem to be any room for the stud mount as indicated in pargh 1 above. Note that the (UPC 6 Sheet A6) looks like a Small Block drawing, So,,,,,

I could shoot you a Dig picture in a day or so.

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »
Jim,
   Thanks for the reply, ...that's exactly what I'm getting into. The bracket seems to fit nicely when placed over the 'hex collar' of the stud. I just want to have this 'technically' correct, but as you've seen as well, ...the AIM isn't totally clear on this. If you could get a pic, ...that would be great.

Thanks,
               Kevin

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
Kevin, I e-mailed a photo of my set up. The more I think about you wanting it technically correct the more I think the stud/nut mounting should be the correct way. The aim indicates that the bracket is part of the eng assy and therefore does not detail it much. My set up might work with the stud-nut but some where along the road a bolt got installed as a replacment and the bracket is drawn into the waterpump mounting surface, you mentioned  your fits with the stud I would continue searching for a UN touched source car,,,

Funny detail
Small block AIR pump pulley (Note assemble pulley with stamped part number facing rearward)
Big Block AIR pump pulley (Note assemble pulley with stamped part number facing forward)

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS