Author Topic: non-Camaro rear end and parking brake problem  (Read 4606 times)

alparker70

• View Profile
non-Camaro rear end and parking brake problem
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:38:02 PM »
I have a 1967 standard V-8 Coupe that had the rear end swapped out before I got it.  It is a 12 bolt positraction, and I believe it was from a Chevelle or some other type of coil spring set-up.  The rear parking brakes had been cut and disposed of before I got the car.  I purchased two reproduction replacement rear parking brake cables.  When we started to rebuild the back brakes and tried to hook up the cables, they appeared to be too long.  We had not yet hooked up the front and middle parking brake cables.  Does anyone know if the Camaro parking brake cables will work with this type of rear end?  If so, will installing all the other parking brake cables prior to hooking up the rear cable take care of this apparent length problem with the rear cables?  I hope this makes sense.  If someone needs more information to respond, please let me know.  Thanks. 

Al

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: non-Camaro rear end and parking brake problem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 03:05:53 AM »
The type of rearend makes no difference in the parking brake cables unless the new rearend is ridiculously wider than a Camaro rearend. The Camaro parking brake cable brackets are on the rear subframes near where the spring perches are and are non-adjustable, so the length of rest of the cables is irrelevant. The brake backing plates should be similiar, too. Sounds like you may have some bastard cables.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior