Author Topic: Proper Location Factory Engine Compartment Decals  (Read 3137 times)

gwp4

• View Profile
Proper Location Factory Engine Compartment Decals
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:29:02 AM »
Hello fellow First Gen Camaro owners/experts:

I'm getting to the point in the restoration process of adding engine compartment decals to my 1968 Camaro 327/210 hp 3-spd no a/c with an A.I.R. factory-installed emission system.  The car was assembled in mid-May 1968 in Norwood, OH.  I've attached a couple of old photos of how the engine compartment looked before the restoration.  I can make out the air cleaner decals, but am having a harder time with the anti-freeze thermostat and emissions decals.  Did the factory put the anti-freeze thermostat decal on the radiator fan shroud in the middle near the engine and the emission decal on the radiator support bar on the driver's side?  I can barely make out what could be the thermostat and emission decals in the photos. 

Any help from the Camaro experts would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.  gwp4

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Proper Location Factory Engine Compartment Decals
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 04:48:56 PM »
The coolant decal (sticker) was only placed on cars destined for Canada. Was your car delivered there? If so, HERE are some good pictures showing the location on the radiator support.

The right edge of the Tune-up decal was placed 3.5 inches from the center line of the car (toward the driver side) as shown in your bottom picture and in the AIM, UPC 0, Sheet B1, Item 3.

Ed

gwp4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 03:03:15 AM »
Hi Ed -

Great stuff.  Very much appreciated.  No, the car was never in Canada.  It was manufactured in Norwood, Ohio (base model standard coupe – 327 MT) and sold in Northern Virginia.  I'm pretty sure the emissions decal GM 3927747 (see attached) went on the radiator support bar on the driver’s side, but I can’t determine what decal (since it’s not the coolant decal) might have been on the front middle of the radiator fan shroud as shown in the first photo.  Any thoughts from you or any other Camaro experts? 

Many thanks.  gwp4

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »
From the factory, nothing goes on the shroud. It's either something that a prior owner put on there, or maybe something a dealer put on there.

Ed

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 05:52:51 PM »
From the factory, nothing goes on the shroud. It's either something that a prior owner put on there, or maybe something a dealer put on there.

Ed

Ed, I'm struggling with that statement as there are many examples of documented original Gen 1's with the tune up decal located on the shroud? Are you referring to '67 only non-AC cars?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
I don't know about other years, but the OP was referencing 1968. Look in the 1968 AIM, UPC 0, Sheet B1. Nothing is SUPPOSED to go on the shroud. However, just as with just about everything else on these cars, who knows what deviations they did at the factories!

Ed

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 06:10:19 PM »
For 69 the tune up label was placed on the fan shroud on A/C cars. However, not at all unusual to see it there on non-AC cars. My 02B Z/28 was one.

Learning more and more about less and less...

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »
I don't know about other years, but the OP was referencing 1968. Look in the 1968 AIM, UPC 0, Sheet B1. Nothing is SUPPOSED to go on the shroud. However, just as with just about everything else on these cars, who knows what deviations they did at the factories!

Ed

Thanks for clarifying, that's what I thought you meant and had intended to say.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 09:51:34 PM by Edgemontvillage »

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 04:56:41 PM »
For 67-69 cars with AC, it's my understanding that the emissions decal was placed on the center of the fan shroud as shown on a previous post of a 69.  The logical reason for this change that is not shown in the AIM is because the radiator support on AC cars has a rubber seal along its entire length.  That seal would cover up any emissions decal located on the radiator support.
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.