Author Topic: Clarification of Data Plate Decode  (Read 2147 times)

Jemaranch Performance

• View Profile
Clarification of Data Plate Decode
« on: May 16, 2021, 07:10:22 PM »
I have a newly acquired 1967 Camaro and have decoded the data plate but need some clarification on what I have here. I do NOT have the original engine, transmission or differential and the car is in a million pieces and on a dolly. No drivetrain but most everything/body and interior parts are in boxes...

The firewall does NOT have the Muncie hole and therefore suggests to me it was likely a Saginaw, it has the proper floor shift cutout with support plate and the floor shift column.
I do not note the passenger rear seat area radius rod support plate in all of the parts however the factory nut insert is on the frame rail and the holes for the plate at the floorboard are present.
I have boxes of parts, confirmed as much as I know to do with CRG help and am not sure EXACTLY what I have here. I am of the old school knowledge group ;) and have always known the 4P to designate SS350 as is on one of my other Camaro's. Of course that car has all original drive train and is a matching numbers SS350 car easily confirmed a true SS350 per it's Data plate decode etc.

Do I have a 1967 Rally sport 4 speed L30 M20 car and not a RS SS350 car? Is the RS L30 M20 car of any significance? Obviously non matching numbers drive train has a major impact on value, but I still want to know what I have here if possible to confirm.
I have evidence and all of the Z22 parts and mounting location holes on the fenders, fender wells and doors etc. The 4 speed pedals, Z bar and the bracket on the sub frame are still mounted and data plate confirms 4 speed and the radius rod mount holes and factory nut insert is present and intact.

There are all of the corresponding mounting holes for the Z21 trim items having been on the car, the front and rear wheel moldings and the drip rail moldings as well as the factory original trim items with the boxes of parts but no 3K on data plate to designate the Z21 trim group.

Please do not keyboard commando me, I have NEVER joined a forum or posted anything so forgive any protocol errors.
Great to gain more knowledge and have a place to correspond with like minded first gen Camao lovers!
Thanks for any help with my fact finding mission

Data plate as follows

06D (June 4th wk)      Q620 (17th day of Month , 620th car that cycle?)

ST-67-12437 (1967-sport coupe)         LOS-38619 (Van Nuys built, body #)

Tr-760-Z (black standard bucket)        K-6 (Emerald Turquoise)  Paint

2L  (4speed Manual)                       3L (Z22 Rally Sport)

4P (SS350 or L30 M20?)         

Vin 124377L163XXX  (July build)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 07:39:06 PM by Jemaranch Performance »

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: Clarification of Data Plate Decode
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 01:18:02 PM »
I am pretty sure if it doesn't have Muncie punches it's a RS L30 M20 car.
3L Rally Sport includes the Z21 style trim group.

Emerald Turquoise is a beautiful color
The top color is off white/Fawn beige

RS manual trans in emerald turquoise is a nice car to build.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 12:30:38 AM »
I am pretty sure if it doesn't have Muncie punches it's a RS L30 M20 car.
3L Rally Sport includes the Z21 style trim group.

Emerald Turquoise is a beautiful color
The top color is off white/Fawn beige

RS manual trans in emerald turquoise is a nice car to build.

I agree, seems like it would be L30 M20. I would think K-6 would be Emerald Turquoise with a white vinyl top. James, where did you find those color choices? I'd love to see how that would look with a Sierra Fawn painted roof.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 02:41:15 AM »
In 67, the vinyl top wasn't white, but off-white/fawn colored.
Kurt S
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 08:22:57 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Weird that I never made that connection.

Jemaranch Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 12:03:51 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.
I will study the car shell a little more, I don't recall noting signs of ever having a vinyl roof however it has been sandblasted and some body work done as well as a coat of primer sprayed on it. I have not fully inventoried the trim either and bet the top trim is there...
New to the site and sincerely appreciate the help and feedback!
I am thinking a build along the lines of factory 12 bolt and factory disc brakes and the Muncie M20 along with a nicely built small block and throw in deluxe interior for more style.
Sky is the limit I guess without the original drive train but yet factory color combo and era correct is more my tatse.

anything