Author Topic: Electrical Problem  (Read 6476 times)

67RSSS

• View Profile
Electrical Problem
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »
I have a electrical problem with my 67 convertible. As in a previous post, I have the same condition....

"I'm suspecting a problem with my 68 headlight switch. The dash lights do not come on and when I turn the dash dimmer switch to high, both signal light indicators come on and the gas gauge loses power and moves to empty".

I have freshened up the dash circuit board with new light bulbs and the problem still exists. Does anyone know if it is the light switch?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

67RSSS

• View Profile
Re: Electrical Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:15:12 AM »
Update:
Problem solved. I was missing the ground strap from the highbeam assembly socket to the screw that secures the dash sub-assembly to the dash.   

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:16:46 AM »
Good work Dan! ;D

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »
I have a good friend that runs an auto electrical place and he always checks all the grounds first!  He says on too many restorations someone leaves out a ground strap, etc. and/or does not secure it properly. 
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

daytho1

• View Profile
    • My Camaro
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
I had the same problem after doing some detailing on the interior of the car.  Indications were exactly the same, moving the headlamp switch past the detente caused the fuel gauge to go to empty and both signal indicators came on.  In addition, when I turned the turn signal on, it acted more like a hazard switch than a turn signal.  The left and right illuminated alternately.  I cleaned all the grounds in the engine bay and made sure I had the tooth washers on both headlight grounds since I had previously had a nose clip restoration.  Still had the same indications, only each time I tested the circuit, I received different lighting variations.  I went through all of the forum posts on this and knew that I only had a couple more places to check before breaking down and replacing the switch or the entire turn signal wiring harness.  I noticed that the center screw that secures the instrument cluster was protruding slightly further than the other two.  With the headlamps on and the directional signals activated, I tightened the center screw securely and immediately started noticing the proper operation of the turn signals and the fuel gauge went back to a little less than full which is where it should have been.  Since I had cleaned all the grounds and secured with new tooth washers, all of my lights were significantly brighter.  Thanks to the forum for all the info on this.
67 250, Bolero Red, N25
Check Out My Restoration Pages: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=306096&ck=

WayneinNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
I pulled my dash apart 3 times (arrrg) after fitting a shift light only to find the same thing.
I tell everyone to run a flying earth strap wire now just in case this comes loose.
Good work and an easy fix