Author Topic: Replacement of lower ball joints  (Read 4923 times)

emanuelK

• View Profile
Replacement of lower ball joints
« on: April 08, 2007, 07:28:05 AM »
Hi.
Please advice, I want to replace both lower ball joints on my -67 convertibel and wondering of a way to replace them without removing the lower control arms? Is it possible at all? Maybe to use some kind of tool for this? I know if I can remove the control arm I can use a hydraulic press wich simplifies the situation - but:

I really would like to remove the control arm but don't understand how to compress the spring. I purchased 2 pair of spring compressors but they cannot be use. The reason is the visible (or attachable) part of the springs is to small and I cannot apply them all. Perhaps I don't need them??

I must also replace the bussings on the rear mono leaf springs. Can anyone advice best practice for this job??

regards /Emanuel

camaromikey

• View Profile
Re: Replacement of lower ball joints
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 07:49:48 AM »
there is a tool that most auto parts stores carry that they rent out. It's easy to use but you have to be very careful becuase its not hard to damage the control arm. I work for O'Reilly Auto Parts and i know that most of our store carry it and i think Autozone does too. It's just called a ball joint and U joint removal tool. It looks like a big C clamp. You really want to use a spring compessor because that spring is under a lot of pressure and not only can you hurt yourself but also damage the frame. Any auto parts should rent the right spring compessor too.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »
Emanuel, I have replaced hundreds of ball joints in my career without removing the lower control arms.  This can be very dangerous if you don't know what your steps are.  I suggest buying a manual or having a repair shop do it if you don't have the proper tools.  Why are you replacing them? Lower ball joints have to be "unloaded" ( pressure taken off them) to check.  Good luck with your project.

Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 07:42:13 PM »
Thank you John for the reply (and warning)
I realize this is dangerous and will be careful during this procedure. I live in Sweden and don't have any possibilities have the job fixed in a workshop. My idea is to secure the spring in compressed position and take off the lower control arm. Then I can set it up in a hydraulic press to replace the ball joint and also take the oportunity to replace all bushings aswell.

I also noticed the right spring is broken approx 1 turn and plan to replace it.

Question: The car is a little bit high in the front in my opinion and I would like it dropped about 2". What is the opinion doing this by using a shorter spring. Does anybody have experience of this?? I assume the best way to do it is using a dropped spindle, but maybe this is an alternative?
/Emanuel