Author Topic: Carburation Ideas  (Read 7780 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: Carburation Ideas
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 04:14:19 PM »
If your valve clearances are set too tight, it can cause a rough idle.
I agree with Ed's numbers 1,3 and 5. Let him know the issues you're having and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. As for the Pertronix, I think it's a good choice. I've used it on several cars as well as friends using them without any issues. Then again, some may find problems, but over 50%?

Yes, over 50% failures. Other car sites/owners report the same. Many engine builders hate it. Many have failed with in minutes, some failed in weeks. Check the online chat boards...its not good for Pertronix. Remember the ill failed Mallory Unilite? Same as Pertronix. That said, IF you like it, use it. I wont.

Where do you get that failure rate Cross?   Do you have the raw numbers you used to calculate it??

No, I don't have any graphs, charts or actual data numbers. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know when over 50% fail its a cause for alarm. Pertronix has admitted to the issues. That said, I have seen it first hand from others, read the comments on the chat boards/other car sites I frequent. Also, many engine builders don't like Pertronix products. Btw, NO racers (that I know of) use them. When people say "Keep an extra set or points in the glove box just in case" you KNOW its unreliable. For GM cars, I would use Accel's electronic conversion, Mopar has their own excellent electronic ign. system, and for the Ford's I use their excellent OEM and dead nuts reliable Duraspark II. Lastly, IF you like Pertronix, and it works for you, by all means keep it. For me, I would throw it in the trash.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:53:26 PM by crossboss »
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 05:51:51 PM »
Chat boards are NOT what I would call trustworthy sources and I can find nothing online where Pertronix has admitted to that failure rate so I called them and spoke to the Tech Support department head. He stated that at no time has Pertronix ever admitted to a 50 percent failure rate. As a matter of fact, he said that if they actually DID have that large of a failure rate, they'd probably be out of business!

When I first got my 55 Nomad, I installed the Pertronix Ignitor 2. I had the car for over 10 years and when I sold it, it was still working. I also installed the Ignitor 1 on my 68 Camaro 25 years ago and it was still working when I made the change to the Breakerless-SE a few years ago. The only reason I changed was for the "one-wire" conversion of the SE instead of the two wires of the Pertronix.

Ed

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 06:04:31 PM »
Chat boards are NOT what I would call trustworthy sources and I can find nothing online where Pertronix has admitted to that failure rate so I called them and spoke to the Tech Support department head. He stated that at no time has Pertronix ever admitted to a 50 percent failure rate. As a matter of fact, he said that if they actually DID have that large of a failure rate, they'd probably be out of business!

When I first got my 55 Nomad, I installed the Pertronix Ignitor 2. I had the car for over 10 years and when I sold it, it was still working. I also installed the Ignitor 1 on my 68 Camaro 25 years ago and it was still working when I made the change to the Breakerless-SE a few years ago. The only reason I changed was for the "one-wire" conversion of the SE instead of the two wires of the Pertronix.

Ed

Ed,
No BS here. Of course the Pertronix tech is going to tell you that. Btw, you were one of the 'lucky' ones. With all due respect, don't say I did not warn you, and come crying to me when yours fails. Like I said, IF you like it, keep it. To each their own...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:11:28 PM by bertfam »
1968 Olds 442 W-30

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 06:12:44 PM »
You might want to think about retracting some of your comments. People have been sued for MUCH less.

Ed

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 06:20:35 PM »
You might want to think about retracting some of your comments. People have been sued for MUCH less.

Ed

Ed,
Sorry you feel that way. I can say for certain it is true. Others CAN testify to the comments made. Lets move on...
1968 Olds 442 W-30

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 06:23:35 PM »
It makes me no never mind. I'm just stating fact from Pertronix and my own personal experiences. If you want to continue running down a product based on nothing but hearsay, that's your perogative. But like I said, people have been sued for a lot less.

And I agree. Let's move on.

so.... which carburetor to install? There's also the HOLLEY 4779 carb. It's a 750 double pumper but you would be able to use the stock fuel lines.

Ed
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:00:16 PM by bertfam »

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 08:49:58 PM »
Why not consider a 650 DP? Might be a better choice for some drivability on the street than the 'larger' carb(s). Most guys aren't racing their Z/28s...just a thought...
1968 Olds 442 W-30

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
Why not consider a 650 DP? Might be a better choice for some drivability on the street than the 'larger' carb(s).

Now THAT I can agree with! Most people install carbs that are way too much for what they're doing. Heck, even HOLLEY recommends a 650 for the 427 I'm installing in my 57 Chevy!

I sent Jerry a Holley 4777 650 double pumper I plan on trying out and I should be getting it back within the next few weeks. I also sent him two 3310's (both 3878261-EH carbs) that I'll try out and see which I like better, the 650 or the 780. I have a feeling the 4777 650 double pumper will be more in line with the street especially since I don't plan on pushing the RPM's past 5k.

Take a look at the Holley site and be honest with the numbers. If you have a 302 that's stock, but never plan on revving it past 6k, even a 4776 600 double pumper would be good enough! Or, a 4777 650 double pumper if you want a little more.

Ed

WaltZ

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 11:36:15 PM »
70 primaries...78 secondaries
timing 10 advanced... total 38@2500rpms
28 squirter, will try a 31 as soon as I get back to my car.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 01:13:51 AM »
By crossboss: Why not consider a 650 DP? Might be a better choice for some drivability on the street than the 'larger' carb(s).

Now THAT I can agree with! Most people install carbs that are way too much for what they're doing. Heck, even HOLLEY recommends a 650 for the 427 I'm installing in my 57 Chevy!

I sent Jerry a Holley 4777 650 double pumper I plan on trying out and I should be getting it back within the next few weeks. I also sent him two 3310's (both 3878261-EH carbs) that I'll try out and see which I like better, the 650 or the 780. I have a feeling the 4777 650 double pumper will be more in line with the street especially since I don't plan on pushing the RPM's past 5k.

Take a look at the Holley site and be honest with the numbers. If you have a 302 that's stock, but never plan on revving it past 6k, even a 4776 600 double pumper would be good enough! Or, a 4777 650 double pumper if you want a little more.

Ed

Great info in both of the responses above. But what about for the person that wants to keep their car stock? My carb was restored by Jerry and went on the dyno with my 302 after he rebuilt that. So, I have no doubt it's perfectly set up.

Otherwise, I think you have to start by checking the float adjustment and move to checking spark plug color. Once you figure that out and know which jets work best for your driving style, you can play with power valves.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 01:29:07 AM »
I could be wrong but I think he's looking for something temporary while he gets his original carb sorted out. His only real requirement is that it has to use the same fuel line setup as the DZ carb, which rules out Edelbrock carbs and all Holley 4160 series. It's going to be hard finding something cheap for just a short time use.

Ed

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 02:22:39 AM »
I could be wrong but I think he's looking for something temporary while he gets his original carb sorted out. His only real requirement is that it has to use the same fuel line setup as the DZ carb, which rules out Edelbrock carbs and all Holley 4160 series. It's going to be hard finding something cheap for just a short time use.

Ed

I agree. The OP was looking for a temporary replacement. However (again, just my opinion), he may actually like the drivability of the 650 DP better...and enjoy the car that way. Obviously, keep the OEM 780 IF you ever choose to sell the car, OR have it fixed in the near future. Some options to consider...
1968 Olds 442 W-30

WaltZ

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 12:11:38 PM »
great input, thanks for getting back to my needs.
maybe for cheap than I should just out change the gas lines
Thanks again everyone.
will be back to my car in about 10 days, I am sure you will being hearing from me again on this post as to how it's going ;D

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 05:05:51 PM »
In that case you should be able to get a rebuilt Edelbrock 650 for around $300. Like I stated before though, I'm not a fan of these carbs and have no experience with them, so hopefully someone that has one will chime in on how well they work. The only thing I know about them is that the Garage Squad puts them on EVERYTHING!! (or fuel injection)

Ed

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 05:45:27 PM »
Dad had a 650 Edelbrock on the 302 when it was doing street/strip duty in the Anglia. Ran great, good manners on the street. I never played with it but said easy tuning,,rods.

Same old carb was on his last project. No issues, no leaks.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..