Author Topic: Caveat Emptor...another repro body tag?  (Read 7256 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Caveat Emptor...another repro body tag?
« on: April 15, 2021, 03:29:46 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-396/274759505175?hash=item3ff8f15517:g:Y68AAOSwjH1gd554

124379N533905

From the ad:

Not only is this a true SS car, but also the trim tag tells us it was born with a hounds-tooth interior, too.

Not a tough call, thanks to the error.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Z282NV

• View Profile
Re: Caveat Emptor...another repro body tag?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 01:20:48 PM »
What gets me is making these claims in their advertisements. They would be better off saying nice Camaro and great colors and leave it at that.
Joe
69 Camaro

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 03:33:17 PM »
The tag looks like a reproduction, but I don't understand your reference to having houndstooth as an error? The only restriction I see for that is NA on a convertible. Please enlighten if you can without giving away secrets.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
Can't. Would get a nasty em from Kurt. :( :-X

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 08:20:31 PM »
I have another short Norwood tag from around the same time frame with code 713 for hounds tooth in a coupe. I believe it to be an original tag. What am I missing about code 713 interiors in a coupe that are incorrect? Is there some unpublished information some where or am I missing it in the decode section?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 11:20:08 PM »
It's not the interior.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 02:14:24 AM »
Self explanatory.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 03:25:53 AM »
The gorilla-fist installation and ugly rivets are other clues.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:20:49 PM »
It's not the interior.

Not only is this a true SS car, but also the trim tag tells us it was born with a hounds-tooth interior, too.

Not a tough call, thanks to the error.

OK, the way you posted the ad quote made it seem like you were saying code 713 interior is an error. I was trying to find out why a 10E Garnet Red coupe could not have come with a Black Hounds Tooth interior.

As far as what makes the tag a reproduction, that is pretty obvious in the other characteristics.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 03:23:49 PM »
I'm not expert on tags but looking quickly at this one and the one posted by 68 ragtop, even Stevie Wonder can 'see' the difference.  With body numbers that close, I can only assume they would have been stamped by the same addressograph.  ;)

Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:55:02 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »
Self explanatory.

Ima going to disagree with you on that. Unless you mean it's so obvious because it doesn't have any paint on it?

I doubt the average person would be able to tell you why that tag is flagged as a reproduction, especially without looking at the real tag I posted for comparison.

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »
For me the point is with a fake trim tag it questions the validity of the entire vehicle and some of its options. For a car that looks like it is in fairly good shape for its age and "born" with this and that why would someone just mess the trim tag?  I mean did it rust out, was it damaged in a collision...how could that be if it still has its born with hounds tooth interior?

You are right, most people would not know if the trim tag was replaced or not, that is why we have people like William that can spot fakes and post them here just in case there are buyers out there who are smart enough to do some digging to see what they can find on the car before they buy. Maybe even the seller might learn a thing or two and change their selling description if knew about this and wanted to remain reputable.
Joe
69 Camaro

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 04:15:09 PM »
Is this not the same car someone post a little bit ago? Saying it was a survivor when it was actually a complete restore?

For a rookie like me, if the two tags weren't posted I would be hard pressed to say the first one is a fake.
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 05:43:30 PM »
The light just came on!!!  Now I got it.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »
If they filled the rivets properly and put a couple coats of black paint on it, it would be less obvious.

My point is, I see no problems with the codes on the tag. Often when a tag is reproduced, something that was never done at the factory is presented on that tag that makes it an obvious reproduction. e.g putting hounds tooth interior in a convertible that's not a Pace Car. That is what I though William was referring to and did not see it.

No real reason to have a fake tag on this car except for a more desirable color and interior, as 1968, 1969 Van Nuys, and early 1969 Norwoods have no performance options encoded on the trim tag.