Author Topic: Fuel smell after driving with no visible leak.  (Read 3179 times)

marriest

• 1969 Camaro Pace Car, 396 cu / 325 hp, #matching
    • View Profile
Fuel smell after driving with no visible leak.
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:39:30 PM »
Where would I look to see why my garage smells like gas after parking in my garage after a cruise?
Should I have the carburetor rebuilt? There is no visible leak by carb or intake.
Terry

ric1969

• View Profile
Re: Fuel smell after driving with no visible leak.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:08:39 PM »
 Has to be a leak somewhere check tank, fuel hoses

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 02:48:11 PM »
A good Fuel System Inspection and assessment is Always in order, but please consider that the 60' F body Gasoline carbs were equipped with 'Open and Vented' fuel bowls and evaporation after parking in an enclosed space you will experience evaporative gas collection in a garage after a drive.
When in Doubt Check it out, but just some smell should not demand a rebuild, base your decision to rebuild on "Condition and performance" of the component.

Again Check out the entire system, Cap to Carb,

My Point is "some"- minor smell should be expected,

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 02:49:11 PM »
  Last least year I had the same problem after the engine was shut down. My L35 has the factory open element air cleaner so it was easy for the vapors to travel. It turned out to be a bad needle/seat in my Q-jet that led to the top of the carb appearing very wet around the vent. I replaced the needle/seat assembly, checked the float height, and all is well now.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

usa1ti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »
Prob 1 of 2 things. As Mike S. said a leaking needle and seat / really high float level can do this at shutoff. Also check the tank vent. If it is not venting after a drive or warm weather the tank will build pressure. If not venting when you shut the motor off the pressure will force some fuel over the needle and seat.
Todd, East TN

enve46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 12:18:25 PM »
Mine had was leaking at the mechanical fuel pump feed hose, wasn't tight so had slight seepage. It eventually popped off when driving, thats how I found it. Once I fixed that, no issues other than typical/expected smells

anything