Author Topic: Body Mount Tape - Width  (Read 42778 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Body Mount Tape - Width
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »
Although there aren't many surviving examples of original tape to evidence the exact details of the factory practice of sealing the rear shock plate mounting holes and cutout prior to the water penetration test, I concluded rightly or wrongly that based on what evidence does exist and examples of tape used elsewhere on our cars for the water test (sub frame mounts) and for other, sundry applications (fuel sender and interior console), its likely the tape would have been a crepe style. I decided that 4 - 4 1/2" long and 2" wide was needed in order to cover the bolt mounting hole and cutout, mostly due to the awkward angles, so I cut a piece to size then, after applying sealer (dum-dum) around the bottom of the shock plate, bolted it in.

Crepe tape applied over rear shock plate holes.

Sealer applied to the back of the shock plate prior to installation (I actually used about 1/2 as much as is shown in the photo)

Restored Shock plate installed (followed by the original bumpers)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:05:27 PM by Edgemontvillage »

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
As long as we were talking about the attachment of the subframe and under body... anyone notice the flat spring steel push clip?
Most people leave these off because they either do not know about them or laziness in sourcing them the use of the flat "speednut" or push clip makes installing the rad support a  near effortless operation for one person.
Above Bushing was sourced from CHQ - They are the correct size although there are no markings on the sleeved bushings, I can't rememeber whether some of the GM marked bushings came from Rick's or if they were ones I had collected, I know that the later replacement rad support bushing is not the correct diameter, and the reproductions one typically sees are also not the correct diameter.   
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
As long as we were talking about the attachment of the subframe and under body... anyone notice the flat spring steel push clip?
Most people leave these off because they either do not know about them or laziness in sourcing them the use of the flat "speednut" or push clip makes installing the rad support a  near effortless operation for one person.
Above Bushing was sourced from CHQ - They are the correct size although there are no markings on the sleeved bushings, I can't rememeber whether some of the GM marked bushings came from Rick's or if they were ones I had collected, I know that the later replacement rad support bushing is not the correct diameter, and the reproductions one typically sees are also not the correct diameter.   

I can't seem to find CRQ, Camaro Head Quarters. Do you have a link to them?...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2020, 05:06:28 PM »
CHQ is Classic Headqurters, and often offer the better parts than other repro companies. http://www.classichq.com/

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2020, 08:17:55 PM »
CHQ is Classic Headqurters, and often offer the better parts than other repro companies. http://www.classichq.com/
Thank you...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »
I have more info that might help this older post on the correct width of the original body mount sealing tape used on the assembly line to seal #3 body mounts and rear shocks for leak testing. 

I just obtained a copy of the GM Maintenance Products & Standard Stock Catalog 907 (P&A 24) dated March 1970.  Attached, is a photo of the sealing tape listed on page 11 in the Body Service Items section.  It appears that GM sold only two widths of sealing tape as service items, in both cloth and paper material: 1 inch and 2-1/2 inch.  Because GM most likely wouldn't waste money having a different width sealing tape on the assembly line than what they sold over the counter, we can probably assume that the service tape was identical to the factory assembly line tape.  Based on the anecdotal evidence of the various postings on this topic, along with photos of surviving black paper tape portions greater than 1 inch in width in both dimensions, one can probably conclude that the tape used for the leak test body sealing was #5786759, a black paper back tape, 2-1/2 inches wide.

Bernie
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
 Great info, Bernie!
 In checking that P/N in GM's Wiki, that usage goes back to the late 50's. Here is one example (it is shown as 'special service') http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=8056
 I'm sure it shrinks over time which is why survivors seem to measure 2 1/4" thereabouts, especially with constant wetting and drying over the years.
  I agree with your conclusion about it being the same as production line usage.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2021, 07:51:15 PM »
Nice original with the good shots of the tap. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203361980412
Kurt S
CRG