Author Topic: AC plenum valve  (Read 3086 times)

CantRepeat

• View Profile
AC plenum valve
« on: April 03, 2021, 02:36:54 PM »
As I'm working through the AC vacuum system on my 67 I have discovered that the plenum valve and flap assembly is missing.

I've got a restored piece ready to install but before I do could some one tell me what purpose this assembly served? Is to let fresh air into the system/cabin?

Is it possible to remove the cowl vent grill without removing the windshield trim? Obviously it will need to come off to install the new plenum valve assm.

Thanks!
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: AC plenum valve
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »
If you search the Heating & Cooling section at the TC site with key words , there are numerous discussions.  As this one mentions, check out the 67 Chassis Service Manual for an overview of how the system works.

https://www.camaros.net/threads/ac-vacuum-controlled-dampers.280601/#post-2425665

I think the grill should come out, but first lay down masking tape so no paint gets scratched.

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »
Thanks.

Like most forum search engines, I wasn't getting many fruitful results.
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

decarter67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 01:39:11 AM »
Tim -

Any chance you still have the cowl grill off your car?  When I had the bodywork done on my car with the intent of adding factory air, I had a new firewall welded in, but didn't know about the cowl plenum valve and the cut-out needed to install it.

Any chance you - or anyone else reading this - has some accurate measurements for that cut-out on the top of the cowl?  I'm going to have to make that cut myself and would like to get it in the right spot and the right size!  I've seen one set of photos that give a pretty good picture of where it's located, but if possible, would like some real measurements.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dale

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 04:07:03 AM »
Too late to take measurements, but here's a few more pictures for you.  67 11B LOS.

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
Tim -

Any chance you still have the cowl grill off your car?  When I had the bodywork done on my car with the intent of adding factory air, I had a new firewall welded in, but didn't know about the cowl plenum valve and the cut-out needed to install it.

Any chance you - or anyone else reading this - has some accurate measurements for that cut-out on the top of the cowl?  I'm going to have to make that cut myself and would like to get it in the right spot and the right size!  I've seen one set of photos that give a pretty good picture of where it's located, but if possible, would like some real measurements.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dale

Sorry, I don't. I put it all back together shortly after this post.
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

decarter67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 07:37:43 PM »
Thx for the photos.  Hopefully, I can make this work.

Dale

67CruiseMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
Instead of allowing outside air into the interior of your car, that flapper just uses inside air to recirculate.

Scot
67 SS/RS with original Cruise Control
67 Tuxedo Black Convertible.