Author Topic: 1967 Camaro & GM Cars Previewed to Allison Plant Workers in September 1966  (Read 3547 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
An article entitled 12,500 Allison Folks See the New GM Cars appears in the October 7, 1966 AllisoNews, v. 26, no. 8.  It features a picture of a base model coupe.  The copy states, "The annual Allison new car preview drew thousands of Allison employees and members of their families to the POWERAMA last week to look at the new 1967 General Motors automobiles. Some 12,500 people came to see the various GM models, each of which now bears the new General Motors Mark of Excellence and comes with a variety of new safely features and an expanded and improved warranty. The striking Chevrolet Camaro, GM's newest small sports ear, drew the attention of young and old alike. Although the new car preview is officially over, powerama will display other new GM ears as they are available in the weeks to come." 

I was wondering what Powerama was and it turns out that it was a large display area of the Allison plant featuring products built by the Allison division.

I found it at the Digital Collections of IUPUI University Library.  Use the tools to zoom in here: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/AT/id/11391/rec/2

Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Camaro & GM Cars Previewed to Allison Plant Workers in September 1966
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »
Your efforts to dig up this (and other) info and post it here are appreciated, Scott.  Thank you!
Jon Mello
CRG

SMS

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Camaro & GM Cars Previewed to Allison Plant Workers in September 1966
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:23:01 PM »
Soooo cool. My dad was plant engineer at Allison and took us to Powerama as a family when I was a kid.   Sometimes cars, sometimes tanks with Allison transmissions. Always overwhelming for a kid! 

Thanks for the memories.

Bill

anything