Author Topic: What Shocks Should I Use For A Smooth Ride ?  (Read 8590 times)

driver88

• View Profile
What Shocks Should I Use For A Smooth Ride ?
« on: March 17, 2021, 03:49:10 AM »
My '68 Rally Sport with a 327-300 that I bought a year ago, has a very old pair of leaking air shocks in the rear with single leaf springs and the front shocks are fairly new, but they ride way too stiff. What do you all recommend for a "softer" ride ? ( as much as a Camaro can be "soft" ) Are the original spiral type fairly smooth ? I owned a 70 Chevy pick up and after I found some NOS original shocks for it - it changed it to a comfortable ride - not stiff anymore. I don't care if it "corners like a double bed" - it's just a car to take to shows and I'd like to get there without jarring my teeth loose, LOL
1968 RS Coupe A/C P/S P/B P/W AM/FM
Head Rests, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Rear Defog, Posi,
Folding Rear Seat, Sport Steering Wheel, Custom Interior
. . with sixteen more and a BASE SIX CYLINDER originally.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: What Shocks Should I Use For A Smooth Ride ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 04:42:38 AM »
You cant go wrong with a set of KYBs. Nice ride, reasonable in price and they will last for years. A no brainer.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 06:08:12 PM »
I've seen a lot of them on more performance minded Camaros ( mine started life as a 230 CID six cylinder ) It won't be going around any corners fast LOL. I tried to put a picture of the car in here, it said the file was too big.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 06:37:21 PM »
KYB Excel stock replacements provide a smooth ride. KYB Gas-A-Justs ride like a rock

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:54:20 PM »
THANKS . . that's what I needed to know . . the people with the Super Sports and Z28 must use the Gas-A-Justs.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:33:49 PM »
Or, you can find NOS Delco's, Koni's or Bilstein's as well. I prefer the ride of hydraulic shocks over gas charged.   

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 12:04:43 AM »
I'd like to find someone on here that's had NOS Delco's and the KYB Excel Stock Replacements on the SAME car to compare the ride  .  .  .

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
I'd like to find someone on here that's had NOS Delco's and the KYB Excel Stock Replacements on the SAME car to compare the ride  .  .  .

Maybe I can help...somewhat. I did a direct back to back test using KYB 'gas-a-just' to Konis on a 1969 Mustang Fastback. Konis were very harsh. An excellent shock for track use, not so for a street car. The KYBs were very nice. Not mushy, but firm/pleasant ride. Hope this helps you out.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 10:39:56 PM »
As you can see, you'll get different opinions and that may not help you make a decision. If you can find a Camaro (or?) club near you, you might be able to get a ride from members with different shock types to help you decide. Otherwise, go with your gut....unless you don't mind buying two sets and reselling whatever you don't use.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 11:17:17 PM »
As you can see, you'll get different opinions and that may not help you make a decision. If you can find a Camaro (or?) club near you, you might be able to get a ride from members with different shock types to help you decide. Otherwise, go with your gut....unless you don't mind buying two sets and reselling whatever you don't use.

Absolutely! Remember, the Camaro uses a coil spring on the lower A arm, and Mustang uses the coil spring on top of the A arm. Different engineering. Generally speaking, Camaro will ride nicer to the Mustang, just because of those differences. Think of it like this: Mustang's front is more or less like a cheap McPerson strut, or damper. You will 'feel' the harshness at a greater level, than compared to a coil under the frame that absorbs the bumps as in Camaro. That said, shocks will greatly enhance or reduce those qualities.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 12:10:48 AM »
In any system, the springs and shocks have to work together...  The springs cushion and isolate the car body from road perturbations, and the shocks are to 'dampen out' spring movement due to the perturbations.

The OP's 'harsh ride' might be due more to the springs than the shocks.  Leaf springs in particular do not act as 'perfect springs' in that the leaves have friction between them, and develop more friction over time when the leaf isolators wear out and they don't 'slide' easily between one another.  Replacing the plastic isolators and lubricating between the leaves will help in this regard.  The bushings at the ends of the springs also add a 'friction' component which is a detrimental factor to perfect spring action.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 12:14:02 AM »
Thanks, guys . . . as I said, I owned a restored '70 Chevy pick up with an eight-foot bed - when I change those shocks back to NOS originals, it rode like I wanted it to. I'll probably just start looking for some originals for my Camaro and try them out. The rear suspension needs some work anyway ( worn out leaking air shocks and it's sitting too low also ) It's going into a shop on the 30th, so I'll ask the people there what their opinion about shocks are, too.

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 12:17:42 AM »
In any system, the springs and shocks have to work together...  The springs cushion and isolate the car body from road perturbations, and the shocks are to 'dampen out' spring movement due to the perturbations.

The OP's 'harsh ride' might be due more to the springs than the shocks.  Leaf springs in particular do not act as 'perfect springs' in that the leaves have friction between them, and develop more friction over time when the leaf isolators wear out and they don't 'slide' easily between one another.  Replacing the plastic isolators and lubricating between the leaves will help in this regard.  The bushings at the ends of the springs also add a 'friction' component which is a detrimental factor to perfect spring action.
I'll talk to the shop owner about what you are saying - he might be able to do something along those lines ( as far as I know, my car has the original single leaf springs - and it left the factory with a 230 CID six cylinder, too - that might have something to do with the "problem" too !!! )

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 12:14:29 AM »
Just don’t get the repro spirals.  Talk about a bad ride....I’m taking mine off, and replacing with regular AC Delco’s from Rock Auto.  Great price too.
BTW, the repros are not for sale. :)

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 12:06:11 AM »
Do you know what the AC Delco from Rock Auto ride like ( or are you just "hoping" they will be better ? ) I'm an old man now, LOL and I don't care about good cornering - just cruising smoothly down the road. THANKS for your help.

anything