Author Topic: Oil pan gasket advice  (Read 2417 times)

JIM69Z

• View Profile
Oil pan gasket advice
« on: May 26, 2021, 01:56:05 AM »
Appreciate any advice on which oil pan gasket works best for my 302 that I plan on resealing soon after many years
Used the fel-pro one piece on it the last time and leaked at front cover slightly using correct gasket

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Oil pan gasket advice
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 02:21:50 AM »
While I can not speak to exact part numbers, A Friend just had Cope Bros. Build out a 302 motor and He had a "blue" single pc pan gasket fail immediately and it was removed and a traditional 4pc gasket installed and successfully Dyno (leak) tested.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

JIM69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply.. the fel-pro is blue so I assume that is the one the they used, leaning toward using the traditional one that didn’t leak before

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 02:37:17 PM »
Depends a lot on your oil pan.  There are 2 different front seal requirements on the pan gaskets.  Problem is made worse when you try to use a later "correct" GM service replacement pan.  GM started sending out the new "thick" gasket service oil pans for EVERYTHING regardless of original year of the application.  A service GM produced '69 302 pan sold after the change in the mid 70's would leak badly with a '69 "correct" gasket.  You would need the '75 and newer thick front seal pan gasket in that situation.  Originally, GM would send a new style gasket along with the revised pans but that was a LONG time ago.

Try the thicker front seal pan gasket spec'd for a '75 drivers side dipstick engine.

JIM69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 01:35:19 AM »
Yes ..I will measure the pan once I get it off and make sure I had the correct gasket for the depth measurement at front