Author Topic: Installing CONSOLE GAUGES and Tic-Toc-Tach - 1968 RS  (Read 2063 times)

driver88

• View Profile
Installing CONSOLE GAUGES and Tic-Toc-Tach - 1968 RS
« on: March 14, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »
We're having some questions about installing a gauge package in my 1968 RS coupe -non-original 327-300 - powerglide. ( it left the factory with a 230 CID six cylinder ) It has an Accel Electronic distributor. I bought both harnesses need to add the gauges from American Autowire.

1) How do we hook up the tach and do we need an "inline filter" for it ?
2) The gauges are wired in now, but we're not sure how to hook them into the other harness ?
3) I've read it's better (safer ) to have a VOLT meter then a AMP meter gauge. The set of gauges came with a AMP meter from Classic Industries.
1968 RS Coupe A/C P/S P/B P/W AM/FM
Head Rests, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Rear Defog, Posi,
Folding Rear Seat, Sport Steering Wheel, Custom Interior
. . with sixteen more and a BASE SIX CYLINDER originally.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Installing CONSOLE GAUGES and Tic-Toc-Tach - 1968 RS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:12:56 PM »
Maybe these may help.

When I added console gages and a tach to my '69RS back in the mid-90's, the kit came with an "extension" harness which connected the ammeter, temp, and fuel gages from the console to the dash harness.  You may have to run separate wiring for the tach from the engine bay into the car.

Richard

Richard Thomas
1969 RS

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:34:58 PM »
Thanks Richard . . I bought both harnesses needed from American Autowire. We have the extension harness. The console end of things is all "put together" and he brought all the wiring up to the fuse box area. I'll have him read the pages you inclosed and see what happens. Another person on a Camaro facebook page, said the brake booster with master cylinder does NOT have to be removed to separate the fuse box apart - a good thing. THANKS for your help !!!

driver88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
We gave up . . . too many wiring problems from previous owners to figure it out. ( it won't even START now !!! ) I'm having it taken to a classic repair shop in town to have it "fixed right" on the 30th. The owner has experience in this area and can figure it out.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:39:38 PM »
If I were trying to separate the fuse box with the engine in the car, I would probably remove the master cylinder and brake booster to do so. I replaced the engine side harnesses on my ride back when the engine was out of the car and I had free and clear access to see clearly and easily reach the engine side of the fuse box.

Someone with small hands may be able to reach down and remove the bolt to separate the fuse box with everything installed, but I sure wouldn’t want to try it.  With the brake booster in the way you may be able to “feel” what you’re doing but I also like to see what I’m doing - especially if there are known problems I’m trying to sort out.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS