Author Topic: highly-optioned vs well optioned vs very highly-optioned  (Read 5889 times)

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: highly-optioned vs well optioned vs very highly-optioned
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 09:11:55 PM »
Here is my former L-78 RS / SS that Jerry M. thought had a fair amount of options. custom interior, bumper guards, console gagues, 7 k  tach. tilt wheel, power steering.
comparing to your RS L78, mine is a plain janer which most L78's were

My L78 is like that, as well as my X77 (although it did come with a console and VE3 bumper). Maybe there ought to be another bracket - "desirable" options, but I would propose all options are desirable over a base car, or a stripper ordered for racing.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 09:21:41 PM »
Yes, I've had it for a year and never drove it with the windows DOWN ( 80* today, here in Tuscaloosa ) It wouldn't be that "cool" without the new style compressor - the other cars I've had with the original style compressors ( even rebuilt ) just don't put out the air like the new ones do.

Roll Tide!!

Yeah, when the humidity starts kicking in AC is a must in Alabama.

I just bought a convertible from Napa, CA and it has air. I'm not sure how well or if it works atm. I'm going through the vacuum lines and actuators while I wait on a new main power switch for it.

On the high probability that it doesn't have a good charge I'm researching the conversion to 134a for it. Drier, POA, drain the compressor, new oil and we'll see how it goes. Seems r12 wants 34 psi on the low side and 134a wants something like 20-29 so POA valve is a must.

Dunno know if mine is well or highly optioned but it's got some nice bells.

And stay safe tonight. We're a bit more south so hopefully wont be too bad. Last couple of years we're had then within a mile of the house.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:44:22 PM by CantRepeat »
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 09:48:08 PM »
The rebuild shops normally recommend you also rebuild the compressor, if switching to R134a, due in part to running at higher pressure.

I believe R134a also requires the newer type hoses, with the inner wall material that won't allow the smaller molecules to leak through.  I've heard that using those newer hoses on the original barbed fittings and hose clamps can be a bear to get a good lasting seal.  So possibly you'd need to get hoses fabricated that won't have the original appearance.     

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 10:51:38 PM »
A quick google search turned up this company, and I'm sure there are others. It might be worth a call to see how they handle the new hoses. Maybe they have an original appearing hose.

https://www.classicautoair.com/air-conditioning-restoration-repair-services-by-classic-auto-air/