Author Topic: 1968 Newark Camaro from John Smelter Chevrolet Newark Ohio  (Read 2673 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
1968 Newark Camaro from John Smelter Chevrolet Newark Ohio
« on: March 11, 2021, 06:24:44 PM »
While researching stuff on newspapers.com I ran across an advertisement for a special 1968 Camaro I have never heard of.  It was called the Newark Camaro and it was sold by John Smelter Chevrolet in Newark, Ohio.  Has anyone ever seen one or have any other information on this particular car?  To me it seems like a regular Camaro with a painted roof, chrome rally wheels and a chrome "Newark" emblem.  It's hard to see on the small version of this picture but the car has "SS" in the grill and "327" inside the early type nose stripe.

Here is the info from the ad:

ATTENTION NEWARKITES
SMELTER CHEVROLET PRESENTS

Newark Camaro made exclusively by Chevrolet Motor Division for John Smelter Chevrolet for distribution in the greater Newark (OHIO) area.

Smelter Chevrolet presents The Newark Camaro

Choose from four brand new colors, plus a unique paint scheme which includes a simulated vinyl roof and other accent features, custom rally wheels, spoiler if you want, and a chrome Newark nameplate which makes this car exclusive of any Camaro on the market.

A full list of options are also available for you to design your own Newark Camaro.  Get all of this right now at Smelter Chevrolet.

The Newark Camaro designed exclusively by you features many options available on a regular factory Camaro.

The ad appeared in the May 8, 1968 edition of The Newark Advocate from Newark, Ohio.

newspapers.com

Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

MO

• View Profile
Re: 1968 Newark Camaro from John Smelter Chevrolet Newark Ohio
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 10:58:26 PM »
I wonder if the "four brand new colors" were completely new or the four new colors that were added to the Camaro lineup in January 68? It would be really cool to have one of those, especially if you live in the area.

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 03:40:58 AM »
I wonder if the "four brand new colors" were completely new or the four new colors that were added to the Camaro lineup in January 68? It would be really cool to have one of those, especially if you live in the area.

I was wondering the same thing.  If they were then those colors would have been Bronze, British Green, Le Mans Blue or Rallye Green.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 03:58:20 AM »
Here is another ad for the Newark Camaro.  It appeared on page 21 of the May 17, 1968 edition of The Newark Advocate from Newark, Ohio.

newspapers.com
Scott

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 04:12:56 AM »
It looks like a regular Camaro with whatever options you want, just a bunch of hype to drum up business.
Kurt S
CRG

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 05:38:49 AM »
Would it be correct to say every Camaro delivered to every dealer was made exclusively for that dealer? I mean they ordered them right?

Leno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 03:48:21 PM »
Im from Newark, Ohio. A friend of mine owned one of these 68 "Newark" Camaros in the late 70s. I remember the Chrome metal Newark Emblem and it was placed above the Camaro emblem on front fenders. Same length and height as Camaro Emblem. His car was a standard Camaro with 327 emblems. The Camaro was Matador Red with black vinyl top. Black std interior. I think it may have had a black bumblebee stripe on front end. IMO, the Newark Camaro option was just a emblem option to any 68 Camaro. 

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »
Im from Newark, Ohio. A friend of mine owned one of these 68 "Newark" Camaros in the late 70s. I remember the Chrome metal Newark Emblem and it was placed above the Camaro emblem on front fenders. Same length and height as Camaro Emblem. His car was a standard Camaro with 327 emblems. The Camaro was Matador Red with black vinyl top. Black std interior. I think it may have had a black bumblebee stripe on front end. IMO, the Newark Camaro option was just a emblem option to any 68 Camaro. 

Thanks for the recollections of your friends car.  It sounds like it was a nice looking Camaro.
Scott

anything