Author Topic: 3 speed shifter problem  (Read 3592 times)

sagood

• View Profile
3 speed shifter problem
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »
I have a 1967 convertible with a 3 speed saginaw with console mount. My problem is that sometimes the shifter "locks up" when shifting from either 2nd or 3 rd going to 1st gear, or reverse when setting still. I then must crawl under the car and release one of the linkages. It appears that the shifter is not completely coming out of 2nd or 3rd  before it is attempting to go into 1st creating lock up. The trans has been rebuilt and the shifter has been adjusted according to the shop manual I have. CAN anyone please help me with this problem, Is the shifter worn out (40 years old) or is the problem elsewhere?????? ???

GIBSTER

• View Profile
Re: 3 speed shifter problem
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:00:49 PM »
Mine was doing about the same thing, except mine is a four speed. The shifter was locking in the reverse position, but the trans was in 1st, it always happened when going from 1st to reverse. a new shifter fixed mine.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:55:39 PM »
I guess this is an original shifter not a Hurst?
If parts have alot of wear it will need to be rebuilt
The original shifters needs to be clean and well greased to work correctly
Does it have the neutral gate spring? I see these missing alot on original shifters. There is just a little hat shaped metal piece that holds the spring in on one side.
These springs seem to disapear with age/use.

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 12:05:45 AM »
Shifter may not be aligned correctly or it is worn out or both.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

anything