Author Topic: Discbrake conversion - again!!  (Read 7283 times)

emanuelK

• View Profile
Discbrake conversion - again!!
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Hi
This topic is very much discussed and well described. I have hopefully a simple specific question in this matter.

I have a -67 camaro convertibel with manual drum brakes and after the first drive I decided to rebuild the brakes of security reasons. However, to find spare parts on the yunk yard is nearly impossible and to import (to europe) a complete conversion kit costs approx 450-600 USD only for shipping!!

I found a local offer of a complete set front discs from a 1970 Firebird (vent. oone piece rotors, single piston calipers on a spindle and a master cylinder) for a very :-\ good price. I thought I could use them but now I'm not sure.

Does anybody have an idea or experience of this combination?
Can I mill my original spindles to accept a rotor like this?
Can I attach the complete Firebird spindle to my car with some kind of modification to the spindle or the car??

I appriciate all help - Thanks

/Emanuel

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Discbrake conversion - again!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »
Try this web page: http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.htm#Converting_Drums_to_Discs

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:19:12 PM »
Thank you Tom
I read this before and could not find the firebird 1970 listed as a donor car. But, I could also not find the corvette C4 brakes either and they are proven to fit on the first gen. of camaro.

Emanuel

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
:D
It's clear to me now that this issue is more complex than I thought.
The brakes I have seems not possible to use because there is no clearance between the rotor and the caliper bracket. Now I also understand why to use the big rotors (read Cheap Big Brakes).

I'm on my way to purchase a complete after market kit. Thanks for trying to guide me.

regards /Emanuel

396bud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »
What part of Europe?

also look at ScareBird brake conversion. I have used them and they use parts that I believe you should be able to buy local.

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 09:05:39 PM »
I live in southern part of Sweden (not Switzerland  ;). This disc conversion kits is not possible to buy here. Only way get one is to import from US. I found several intresting kits but the dealers get's cold when they need to ship outside US. In some cases I get feedback but also a shipping cost of 600USD +.

Is there anybody willing to mediate a purchase and shipping for me? If I pay the kit maybe someone could give me a hand arrange the shipping to Sweden? Of course I pay the shipping aswell.

Thanks in advance. /Emanuel

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
I would like to thank Mark Sanders for a great help solving my problems. He put a lot of effort in speaking to different dealers and finally I could do my purchase and shipping for a reasonable price. I'm supriced of the difficulties to make this distance business. I purchased a complete 4 wheel power kit from Matts Camaro.
Hopefully I can develop some routine in this and also get some good connections.

Here's my project at this moment with no brakes and the lower control arms removed for new bushings and ball joints:
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs414&d=07154&f=Camaro_repair1.jpg
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs414&d=07154&f=Camaro_repair2.jpg
(I'm not sure the images are visible)

Thank you Mark for all help. ;D

/Emanuel

anything