Author Topic: 7 mm Spark Plug Wire Crimping  (Read 2703 times)

67stripper

• View Profile
7 mm Spark Plug Wire Crimping
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:12:10 PM »
I bought a Pertronix 7mm silicone black spark plug set from Summit for my 67 that looks and works very good but some of the wires are too long. I need to cut them shorter and crimp new ends on the distributor cap end. I can source the terminals locally but would like to know what tool or tools members here are using to cut and crimp the ends on these spark plug wires. 8 mm stuff is easy to find but 7mm seems to be tough to find.

JoeC

• View Profile
Re: 7 mm Spark Plug Wire Crimping
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »
try Home Depot , they have a lot of tools for doing wiring , the store here has them in stock , maybe more choices online

rszmjt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 02:47:01 PM »
MSD/Taylor & others sell crimp tools available from Summit or Jegs, those companies also sell generic tools for crimping spark plug terminals. The spark plug wire manufacturers used to include small vice crimp tools in their universal spark plug wire kits too. Whitaker was another company who sold a crimp tool, had 1 for 50 yrs now.

Summit #25193 made by OEM tools  is $19.95 does 7mm wires BTW

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »
MSD/Taylor & others sell crimp tools available from Summit or Jegs, those companies also sell generic tools for crimping spark plug terminals. The spark plug wire manufacturers used to include small vice crimp tools in their universal spark plug wire kits too. Whitaker was another company who sold a crimp tool, had 1 for 50 yrs now.

I have the MSD crimper and it works perfectly.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

67stripper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 01:53:14 AM »
Thanks to all who responded. Much appreciated.

My local Home Depot has tools for crimping wire but no luck for anything spark plug wire related.

I have a tool similar to the Summit #25193 made by OEM tools. It works decent but the handle die is pretty narrow for a spark plug terminal and you have to crimp the terminal more than once along the terminal to get a good crimp. Also, the location of the die is poor for mechanical leverage to crimp. You really have got to press on it hard for even a decent crimp. Not the best. I was looking for something better if possible. All the vise type crimpers I have seen are for 8mm. I have an MSD 8mm one that I got with a set of plug wires but it does not crimp 7mm well. Pull on the terminal in a distributor cap for a test and the terminal comes off. Not functional.

Accel makes a plastic vice tool that they say is for 7mm and 8mm. It has stripping holes for both 7mm and 8mm but it only has one die for crimping and I doubt that it would work for 7mm. I have found stripping is not a problem.  I just use ordinary wire strippers and they work fine. A good quality crimp is the issue.

Taylor sells the ends for the distributor cap #46059 that they say are for 7mm and 8mm but don't sell any 7mm wire so I doubt that they have any good tools for 7mm. They do sell a crimp tool similar to the Summit #25193 that I can buy at my local speed shop but the reviews on Summit are not that good. They don't say whether their ratchet crimp tool will do 7mm.

I have the MSD crimper and it works perfectly.

Have you used it on 7mm?  MSD makes nice stuff and it looks very similar to the iCrimp tool that Amazon sells with very high rating except that one reviewer said that it did not work well on 7mm. The iCrimp tool is quite a bit cheaper and a few reviewers on Amazon say that it is exactly the same as the MSD. For me, price is important, but what I'm really looking for is a good tool that will get the job done on 7mm as I've got a few projects to do and I plan to buy either Summit or Pertronics retro wire sets that are high quality silicone etc rather that the repo Packard stuff. I have not had much luck with the repo Packard stuff for long term driven durability.

https://www.amazon.com/Ratcheting-Connector-Crimper-Ignition-Diameter/dp/B07QDR2DVW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=icrimp+spark+plug+crimper&qid=1606873438&sr=8-2

anything