Author Topic: Correct specs for strap #4778650 on 69 Camaro spare tire jack column and wrench  (Read 3753 times)

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
I noticed that eBay lists a reproduction 69 Camaro spare tire jack column and wrench strap #4778650 as being of a "rubber sleeve type."  They are sold in pairs.  I have also seen these same rubber straps on eBay as being allegedly "NOS" with a GM box in the background, but no part number on the box label (see attached photo).  However, all of these straps are incorrect.  The strap is T-shaped, plastic, and 7-1/8" long...not a rubber sleeve.  Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the original straps...but, I do have diagrams and parts catalog descriptions to support my claim.  Fortunately, AMK Products sells a reproduction #4778650 on page 167 of their 2020 catalog, under AMK part #B-10983.  See attached photo.

The 67 Camaro AIM lists this strap on the following pages:
- UPC C60/D3 (Air Conditioning-Hose Routing)
- UPC K30/A3 (Hoses & Wiring)

The 68 Camaro AIM lists this strap on the following pages:
- UPC C60/D4 (Air Conditioning - Hose Routing)
- UPC K30/A3 (Hoses & Wiring)

The 69 Camaro AIM lists this strap on the following pages:
- UPC 10/A2 (Spare Tire & Jack Stowage) - (See attached photo)
- UPC Z22/B4 (Rally Sport-Windshield Washer Jar Mounting) - (See attached photo)
- UPC Z22/B5 (Rally Sport - Retractable Headlamp Hose Routing)

The strap is clearly depicted in these various AIM pages as being a T-shaped one, not a sleeve.

Here are the actual specifications for #4778650 (official sources follow in brackets):

Length: 7-1/8" [1, 2]
Material: plastic [3] 

Sources:
[1] Chevrolet Parts Catalogue No. 651 of December 1964, Group 11.558, page 364, under line "Strap, Electric Seat Adjuster Wiring Harness."
[2] Chevrolet Parts Catalogue No. 651 of December 1964, Group 13.090, page 454, under line "Strap, Wiring Harness on Shroud."
[3] Chevrolet Parts & Accessories Catalog No. P&A 94 of January 1965, Group 13.090, page 347, under both lines "1960 thru 1964 Elect. Seat" and "1965-4-6 Way Seat."
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

KevinW

• View Profile
Do you need a RS strap photo?  I think I have some that I packed away 40 years ago.

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
Sure.  A photo of both sides would be nice.  Your photos would be for anybody reading this post that may need to find original straps that would need to know what an original looks like.  Maybe AMK Products will use your photos to fine-tune the one they have...which is currently listed as "(sim)" after the GM part number in their catalog.  I'm guessing the AMK Products strap is very close, but not not 100% accurate?

-Bernie
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
I have an original jack with the rubber sleeves.
I'm curious what is with other original jacks.
Kurt S
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
Sorry for the lateness.

Here is an 69 RS strap (was on the rubber vacuum hoses) I pulled off a real RS in the 80s. Not sure if it is the same part as the jack strap, but would be interested to know.

It is 7" long and strap part is 3/8" wide.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
I removed an original jack from a rust bucket a friend pulled from a field. It had the sleeve. It was rotted and broke in my hands. My SS has one too but probably not original.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
KevinW,

Can you post a photo of the backside of that original strap?  The reproduction strap from AMK Products has a push-in plug on one side about 2/3 of the way from the pointed end.  The push-in plug might be why AMK Products deemed the strap as "(sim)" in their catalog.

- Bernie
Black Custom Interior

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
Just found this photo of the two T-shaped straps at the following CRG post of a 30K mile February 1969 Camaro: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=650.0;all.  See Reply #41 by NoYenko.  Attached, is the photo that was posted.
Black Custom Interior

rszmjt

• View Profile
The push in plug strap was a much later superceded release part from GM, at the Corvette shop we used to buy them in the early to late 90,s for restoration before AMK really came into the restoration supply business.  I allways found they broke easily where the push in part was.

My RSZ has the original straps on the RS washer hose , I  will look tonite.

FWIW The AIM is not gospel, there were lots of production changes/superceded applications and specifications.  GM may have used different tire wrench attachment procedures to jack mast, just like they had different jacks and bases. I think its 3-4 different bases now, Kurt will know.

This is a Interesting post, particularily as im doing research on jacks & tire wrenches. Thanks for starting this.

Mike.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:37:48 PM by rszmjt »

rszmjt

• View Profile
Here is a original GM Strap off a RS car. It is very soft compared to the later GM issue and reproductions.

rszmjt

• View Profile
Strap back side

KevinW

• View Profile
KevinW,

Can you post a photo of the backside of that original strap?  The reproduction strap from AMK Products has a push-in plug on one side about 2/3 of the way from the pointed end.  The push-in plug might be why AMK Products deemed the strap as "(sim)" in their catalog.

- Bernie

Bernie, there is no push in plug on the back, it is laying flat.  You are correct.  later GM service for this strap had the bump, original ones did not.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Here is a original GM Strap off a RS car. It is very soft compared to the later GM issue and reproductions.
I have noted that strap type on 69 non RS models.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

anything