Author Topic: Third clutch is the charm  (Read 1848 times)

Kaanderson

• View Profile
Third clutch is the charm
« on: October 17, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
Hi, i just wanted to share my experience for whatever it is worth. I had a older chattering clutch in my 67 ss -rs 350 convertible . The car is the ultimate California cruiser with the original 295 hp motor. I  removed the clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced.  I installed center force stage 1. The quality of everything looked the best. Pedal felt great, but had a chatter upon take off. I was told to let it break in and would go away. I gave it some miles and could not hang with it so I yanked it out installed LUK clutch and  got a nice smooth clutch engagement. I put some miles  on it and then it started to get a noise upon clutch pedal depress. I spent some time checking linkage and double greasing everything. I then determined it was pressure plate. I could not hang with the noise and feel of pedal when applying. I yanked it out and installed a Zoom clutch. The pedal of the Zoom feels real good and has a nice and smooth take off. That is the story for whatever its worth.
Good luck with your clutches and take care

olddragracer

• View Profile
Re: Third clutch is the charm
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
Did you replace the pilot bushing? Replacing the pilot bushing with a new properly lubricated one is an important part of the job when installing a new clutch. A seemingly good but dry pilot bushing can cause various noises that are often blamed on the clutch or the clutch release bearing. These noises usually occur as the clutch is engaged or disengaged. If the car is not modified and is driven normally I would recommend the LUK clutch. Putting grease or another lube in the old pilot bushing will not solve the problem. The bronze bushing is a porous metal and the lube is in the pores of the metal. The bushing will dry out with use and with time.

Kaanderson

• View Profile
Re: Third clutch is the charm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »
 Yes, Thanks for the advice.  i installed new pilot bearing that was supplied with the clutch kit. The problem got fixed with the Zoom clutch. I was just telling my story, take the story for what ever its worth, no worries to me. I wouldnt be scared of installing another LUK clutch. I think it was just LUK of the draw,   Thanks again.