Author Topic: Ideas for removing Paint from fan shroud  (Read 5280 times)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
Re: Ideas for removing Paint from fan shroud
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 03:50:55 AM »
I started with brake fluid, had some success, moved to oven cleaner, with minimal success. I went back to brake fluid with ceramic heater in close proximity and that was quite effective. The heat seem to accelerate the process. It's 60-70 degrees during the day so leaving outside in the sun wasn't a option. Now to epoxy 2 cracks then add my own paint. Thanks for the help.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 12:55:52 PM »
Good news, but I think the epoxy will fail.  The shroud is ABS (semi-flexible plastic).  Epoxy is hard plastic.  Eventually the interface will crack.  ABS crack fixing is better with ABS welding techniques (melt ABS rod into the crack while melting edges with soldering iron).  My .02

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 02:06:11 PM »
Pardon me for adding another $.02 worth - request a quote from Instrument Specialties to repair/refinish the shroud. I know there are good repros available now for the 67-68 BB shrouds, but OE GM shrouds are still the holy grail for those owners who still pine for an OE shroud. I've seen shrouds that needed a lot of repair go for stupid money, and NOS ones command prices that would make a good down payment on a new Camaro. Just a suggestion, of course it really depends on what you want as an owner/restorer. Might be worth it -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 07:04:47 PM »
I did a little research on repairing ABS and the consensus seem to be epoxy won't create a permanent bond as mentioned(Kevin), It's to brittle and won't bond with the ABS, just sits there until it pops off. Turns out the universal glue used for PVC,CPVC plumbing also works for ABS. If you've done any plumbing you know the glue melts the pieces together, making a strong bond. I'm going to attempt to find a donor shroud(for a compatible piece) and reinforce the cracked corners from the underside using the plumbing glue.

I contacted Instrument Specialties about repairing the shroud. 3 month and $300. I may go this route If my repair does not meet my standards and or the repo's are not satisfactory. Thanks

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 07:54:52 AM »
Sometimes it is also wise to drill a small hole slightly larger than the crack at it's end. This will stop the damage from spreading further. I realize you might be possibly welding the plastic, but if it were me; I would do this for just piece of mind. You never really know how the repair to plastics will last due to vibration and if it did fail for whatever reason, it may only go as far as the hole that was drilled. I have had success doing this over the years.

anything