Author Topic: Bob Mitchell obituary  (Read 3442 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Bob Mitchell obituary
« on: December 01, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »
I was saddened today to learn of the passing of an ex-worker, and 'Racer' friend Bob Mitchell.   his obituary is here from the Huntsville (AL) Times today.

https://obits.al.com/obituaries/huntsville/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=197187405&utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_huntsville_obits%202020-12-01&utm_term=newsletter_huntsville_obits

Among his many racing exploits was ordering and buying a new '69 Z28 (with JL8 brakes as well) in late 68, and immediately converting it for SCCA racing.   I worked with Bob for several years in the Advanced Sensors directorate of the Army Missile Command's McMorrow Labs; he was an outstanding engineer and individual.  I also worked some with him on his racing cars, and crewed for him one year at Road Atlanta.  I was very saddened today to learn of his passing.

His full 'Racing Sports Cars' record is here...  from 1963 thru 1981

https://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/archive/Bob-Mitchell-USA.html

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Oldtimer

• View Profile
Re: Bob Mitchell obituary
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »
Gary - my sincerest condolences to you and the family.

Having been the subsequent owner of the Camaro he raced, I feel somewhat of a remote connection.

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 07:18:39 AM »
That man seems truly amazing. Parkinsons is a very tough way to see yourself go, especially as articulate and learned as he must have been. He was way too young. Condolences for his wife, I hope she doesn't let her heart break over this.
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 02:00:08 AM »
Very sorry to hear that about Bob and my condolences to the family as well.
Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
Thank you all for reading about Bob's death and life.   He wasn't a 'famous' racer, but he was a very dedicated racer who spent his own earned $$ buying and racing sports cars (along with whatever small sponsorships he could gather).  He was never a 'full time' racer, but spent his money, time, and weekends working on or building his cars and entering races, while always working full time as a physicist/engineer researcher and developer.

In late '68 he ordered/purchased with personal $$ a new '69 Z28 and had the knowledge to know to order the JL8 option, and immediately took it to his shop and began converting it for the track.  I don't believe he ever drove the car on the street except from the dealership to his shop.   He raced that car in local and regional SCCA races including some endurance races at Sebring and Daytona.  He was a regular driver of the Bolus & Snopes Z28 and others, including being one of the selected drivers in the early 80's along with Cale Yarbrough, Bill Cooper, and Billy Hagan of the Stratagraph Camaro in various IMSA races including Lemans 24 hrs, Watkins Glen, Road America and others.

He actually met his wife, Karen, thru his racing activities so that was a shared love and they were a team.  Karen was his lap counter and record keeper when he participated in races.

My admiration for Bob and others like him is greater than for the high paid 'famous' racers we all know of...

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »
I have a huge amount of respect for the "little guy" racers.  These were the types of guys you could easily identify with as a regular guy just trying to make his racing dream come true.  Also, depending on personality, they were the ones you more often got to talk to and know at the track versus the big-time pros.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything