CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 10:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
104441 Posts in 12229 Topics by 4716 Members
Latest Member: Hgtech
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  68-69 Rally Sport Headlight Actuators
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 68-69 Rally Sport Headlight Actuators  (Read 2797 times)
1968RallySport

View Profile Email
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:57:45 PM »

Does anyone know of a place that can rebuild the original GM vacuum actuators for the headlight doors. I have a pair of repops that the hose nipples are not positioned the same as the orignals. I was able to get the right one to work without any modifications. I had to cut the nipple on the rod end of the cannister back until it was straight for hose routing reasons. I tried to bend it to the correct angle but the cannister body started to deform. Also, does anyone know why the reproduction industry can't take an original part and copy it to the right dimensions? It seams that more often than not the repops are never fit like the originals, only close Huh
Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »

Read this link, make sure you have the CHQ actuators.  They are far better than the GM units.

Jerry

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=626.0
1968RallySport

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »

Jerry, what is CHQ?

Daryl
1968RSZ28

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 05:21:32 PM »

Daryl -

CHQ = Classic Headquarters:

http://www.chqreproductions.com/

You can buy their products at Rick's First Generation Camaro:

http://www.firstgen.com/

Paul
1968RallySport

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »

Paul, thank you!

Daryl
Dave69x33

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 08:26:35 PM »

Has everyone had good luck with the repro vacuum actuators?  I purchased a set approx. size years ago during the restoration of my RS 69Z and they did not work well.  I returned them and put the originals back on the car.  I was told back at that time, the repros were not very reliable.

I would like to try a set of Rick's First Gen's actuators if most everyone has had good experience with them.

While we are on this topic, I have a unique problem with the function of my head light doors.  I must flip the Relay Switch valve from "normal" to "open" to get my head light doors to open, (which should simply hold the doors open for icy conditions) then switch the valve back to "normal" to get the doors to close.  I have double checked the hose routing on the head light switch, on the Relay Switch and on the actuators.  I tried a repro Relay Switch with no success - got same action results.

I tested my actuators by connecting a long vacuum hole direct from the intake fitting to the actuator open and close ports.  I replaced my hoses with a kit from Risk's.  I first set of hose dry cracked and leaked.

Any suggestions.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: