Author Topic: RPO N34 (wood-grained wheel) parts questions -- in the weeds :-)  (Read 1547 times)

kentsu

• View Profile
Greetings,

I have read the excellent article by Ed Bertrand on steering wheels. I am trying to verify which parts are correct for RPO N34 in '67 and could use some help. (Not the wheel itself--that is clear.) My interest is in non-tele setups only.

My first question is about the canceling cam. Parts books show a one-year-only P/N of 3900511 for '67 in Group 2.896, changing to 399292 in '68 (and eventually superseding the '67 part). I would like to know exactly what this part looked like. Does anyone reading this have either a NOS 3900511 or one that is known to be original (and known to not be 399292)? My main question about this part is how far apart the two canceling lobes are.

My second question is about the horn plunger, which GM calls an "eyelet". From what I can see, many different versions of this simple tube were used -- differing in length, depending on the depth of the hub. The correct one for N34 appears to be part of the 3901330 assembly (Group 2.819), which includes the contact unit, spring, and (in some applications) an insulator. My main question about this part is what its length is. By the way, the '67 assembly manual appears to show that the actual P/N for the eyelet is 3909599, which doesn't appear in parts books until much later, for a much newer car.

My third question is what the correct spring is to accompany this eyelet/plunger. The actual P/N for it appears to be 9741304, which, like the eyelet, doesn't seem to show up individually as an available part until many years later. My main question is what the length of this part is.

My last question (for now!) is whether the insulator is used with RPO N34 or not. It is shown in UPC 12 of the '67 assembly manual (appears to be P/N 3857252) but it is not shown on the RPO N34 page, which references UPC 12 for the spring. It looks to me like the same spring is used for N34, but with a different eyelet, and somehow that different eyelet removes the need for the insulator.

Thanks much!

--Kent

kentsu

• View Profile