Author Topic: tail light problem  (Read 4767 times)

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
tail light problem
« on: March 31, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
tail light problem

I'm having a problem that I can't track.

It's a std 2 wire setup. The brake lights work when the headlights are off (I checked and have 12v at the 1st wire on both sides), when the HL's are on the brake lights stop working and the tailights don't come on (I checked and have 12v at both wires on both sides). When I let off the brake with the HL's on the taillights still don't come on (I checked and now have 12v at the 2nd wire on both sides). So i'm uber confused cause according to the vt meter everything should be working??? I have tried multiple bulbs to make sure no internal bulb shorts.

Help??????
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: tail light problem
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:12:27 AM »
Sounds like you have a bad ground some where.  I would start by checking the ground wires for the headlights and taillights.  Just don't look at them.  Remove the bolts at these grounds and clean any corrosion and/or rust you find.  Replace any corroded and/or rusted star washers you find at these ground locations.  Try this first.  Good luck.

Paul

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
my car did the exact same thing.  it was in the light sockets.  cleaned them real good then every thing worked fine.  untill driving home one night and having both the original t3 lamps burn out. but thats another story.

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 06:38:32 PM »
I think i'm going to officially turn in my man card.

Sorry to trouble everyone - I have found out that self grounding sockets work much better when you install them into the tail lamp housings that they are supposed to ground out on (right here is where i'm banging my head on the desk repeating over & over, "stupid-stupid-stupid"). thanx for the quik responses - and i'm just going to go over here in the corner and be quiet now.
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet