Author Topic: Turn signal switch replacement  (Read 2417 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
Turn signal switch replacement
« on: August 07, 2020, 01:46:29 AM »
Need to replace the turn signal switch on my 1968, 4 speed, floor shift coupe w/power steering.   It's a 4th week of April 1968 Van Nuys build.   I have not disassembled the steering wheel, etc. yet, as I wanted to order parts first for quicker repair.   I assume I need an 8 pin turn signal switch assembly w/connectors, or a 9 pin with the steering column lamp stuff removed.   Two questions: 1.  I see references to the emergency flasher actuator hole being either round, D shaped, or O shaped.   Any way to tell which without disassembly, and does it matter?  2.  I see "Boyne" mentioned in reference to some steering columns but not sure what that means?  Thanks.

joesauer

• View Profile
Re: Turn signal switch replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »

So...did some homework & discovered the Boyne (red) turn signal switch was installed in some Camaros, while the white/yellowish Delco switch was installed  in others.   Anyone know the background on this? 

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:03:30 PM »
What I have read is that if the hole in the side of the column for the flasher pull switch is D shaped, it uses a Delco switch.  Round hole used the Boyne.  I just looked at a NOS 7800482 "Delco" I have for my 67 with AT and floor/console shift, and it is black plastic and in a Saginaw can.  Go figure.

Prior to 67, Boyne's were "blue" plastic, but such a light shade they were easily confused with white Delcos.  In 67 when the steering column safety standards changed, Boyne switched to the orange/red plastic to make theirs more obvious.

Personally I'd pull it apart first to see what's in there.

This July 1968 parts catalog page list some other differences under 2.895 Switch Assembly - Notes
http://gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=64373

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 01:08:53 AM »
Petes L 48.  thanks for the info.   Didn't know a turn signal switch had so many variations.   Agree with you....I'll pull the steering wheel & switch, & then get the correct replacement.