Author Topic: 69 new volt meter console gauge install  (Read 2032 times)

bad69 396

• View Profile
69 new volt meter console gauge install
« on: July 13, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »
new volt meter my instructions are not very detailed i do not know how to connect power to volt meter i can not use the old amp system wiring for volt meter,has any done this install yet,any help and directions are helpful.it has three pegs,one is for ground and the other two prongs i do not know? thanks

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
Re: 69 new volt meter console gauge install
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:08:52 AM »
I gave a link to the manufacturers instructions on Team Camaro to this same question. Was that you?

Installation Instructions:
1. Disconnect your battery. If you have stock wiring in your car, you must remove the connector
 containing the black wire and the black with white stripe from your stock ammeter. Next, you’ll want
 to disable the black wire and black with white stripe wire as they are ‘battery hot” all the time. Be
 sure that they do not become grounded at any time. AAW suggests that they be removed from the
 dash bulkhead connector assembly at the firewall altogether.
2. FIGURE 1:
 This is how the new voltmeter assembly looks as it is shipped to you. It is already mounted onto
 a new gauge “mounting plate”. Continue your installation by unplugging the connector that
 contains the dark green and pink wires from back of your temperature gauge, and then by
 removing the complete existing rear gauge plate assembly containing the ammeter and
 temperature gauge from your original console gauge housing. Next, remove the original
 temperature gauge from the original gauge plate assembly, and re-install it onto the new AAW
 gauge plate/voltmeter assembly. Please play particular attention to the orientation of the white
 insulator, connection blades, and hardware that connect the temperature gauge into the plate
 assembly. Be sure to re-assemble it the same way. (See FIGURE 2 for proper configuration)
3. FIGURE 3:
 This rear view shows the new voltmeter gauge as it comes installed into the gauge “mounting
 plate”. The upper stud on the LH side (as you are looking at the studs coming through the back
 of the mounting plate) is merely for mounting purposes. The two studs on the RH side are
 your gauge wiring connection points. (See figure 4 below)
4. FIGURE 4:
 This view shows how the gauge wiring connections must be made. The wiring to the top stud
 with the black paint daub on it should be attached to a good known chassis ground. The wiring
 to the lower stud with the red paint daub on it should be attached to a “keyed 12 volt fused
 ignition source” wire. If you are using our Classic Update harness, this wire is located in the
 500664 console harness. If you are using an original 1968 or 1969 Camaro console
 harness, connect a jumper wire from the location of the pink wire on the temperature gauge to
 the stud with the red paint daub.
5. Lastly, it is time to reinstall the newly completed rear gauge plate assembly containing the new
 voltmeter and the original temperature gauge back into your original console gauge housing. Be
 sure to re-attach the connector that contains the dark green and pink wires to the back of your
 temperature gauge. Your installation is now complete.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:31:29 AM by 68 Ragtop »

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 08:33:29 AM »
Hey James, Garth here...lol I seen your reply at TC and didn't realize it was a link! https://www.camaros.net/threads/69-camaro-new-volt-gauge.477871/#post-1783237471 I imagine "bad 69", AKA "Camarostrong" had the same experience.

Yep, Kurt mentioned trouble with seeing links and such....
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
Updated TC post to make it clear that it was a link. TC and CRG links look different.

Click here for a link to the manufacturers website instructions:

https://smhttp-ssl-87263.nexcesscdn.net/pub/media/productattachments/files/92969249_510121_4.0.pdf

bad69 396

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
thanks very much guys,i did not buy the aaw voltmeter its another company and did not come with new panel,i just drilled new holes to compensate for new voltmeter, it has the three prongs two are light metal color and the other is is a copper color i think its for a ground.  thanks

anything