Author Topic: Repair holes around trunk gutter  (Read 1926 times)

TexasAggie

• View Profile
Repair holes around trunk gutter
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:12:02 PM »
I started trying to fill some holes around the trunk gutter of my 1968 Camaro and ran into problems with the Mig just blowing the holes larger.  I tried to put some copper backing behind the holes but wasn't able to due to the orientation of the holes.  My next idea would be to just make some patches and weld them in with my Mig.  The only issue I see with trying to weld the patches is in is that it will be difficult for me to weld the section that would be in the gutter because of space constraints.  I was thinking I would need to remove the trunk gutter completely in order to have proper access to weld the patches.  I believe the trunk gutters were spot welded in the gutter section and then welded at the top seam but I am not 100% sure.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me advice and guide me on what needs to be done in order for me to repair these sections.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Repair holes around trunk gutter
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
Yep, Been there, done that.

Thin wire, gold gas, turn amps way down, reverse polarity on the welder.

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 10:36:26 PM »
Get a brass spoon with an edge on it. I use that sucker for things like this..

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 12:27:45 PM »
That hole is too big to fill using a backer. And once you blast and cut back to thick, stable metal, the hole will grow.  Easiest way is to get a donor piece from someone replacing a full quarter. Or use a brake and a shrinker/stretcher and make your own patch. A form will be needed to make the trunk bumper contact portion.  Judging by that rot, I'll bet there are other areas on the car that are just as bad.