Author Topic: New Camaro sales tanking?  (Read 4049 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: New Camaro sales tanking?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »
Visibility has been extremely poor since the Camaro was re-introduced, but the power it exhibited seemed to overcome it with the people who bought it.   I considered it until I drove a couple of them and the visibility became the overriding issue with the car.  I've heard the same argument from many others and even in magazines, but Chevy has seemingly done NOTHING about it in the 10 yrs since...  Maybe they don't have designers any more??   The Mustang and the Challenger are much better at the 'retro' pony car game, and their performance is great as well.   Chevrolet seems to rely on (take advantage of?) all the people who are 'Chevrolet' guys... regardless!  and maybe all those people have bought one already?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
Still waiting on the electric SUV Camaro???
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
Not me lakeholme!~  :)   

I have a short saying re SUVs...     'SUVS SUCK'...

and putting the Camaro name on one would be an ultimate SLAM at Camaro fans...   :(
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »
I special ordered a 2011 SS in early 2011 and took delivery in late March.  For my money, the styling of the Gen 5 is far superior to the Gen 6, especially from the rear - although I’m not a real fan of the Gen 6 front either.

My SS has the 6 speed manual with a factory option Hurst short throw shifter.  (One of the few options available above and beyond what came standard in the 2SS package.)  I’ve totally enjoyed mine - local dealer keeps sending me offers to buy it - someone must be looking for an early Gen 5 with a 6 speed manual.

As mentioned previously visibility is not the best out the rear quarter or rear window; the same can be said for 3 of the 4 Camaros that I have owned  ‘69, ‘76, 2011.  Only the ‘95 Z28 that I had prior to the 2011 SS had decent rear visibility.  Lack of rear visibility in the 2011 SS hasn’t  been a problem for me as proper use of the side mirrors and a quick side glance here and there has compensated for any rear visibility issues.

GM/Chevrolet just hasn’t seemed to be committed to improving the Camaro, and the styling changes from Gen 5 to Gen 6 was a huge mistake IMHO - same as when they changed styling from 1st to 2nd gen.  In my mind this is the reason for declining Camaro sales.

Coupes and sedans are going the way of the dinosaur - pretty soon NASCAR will be racing SUV’s.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
Having said that I am a GM, camaro guy, the new ones have just not caught my eye. The new mopars have but I have never been a mopar guy. Just my 2 cents.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 04:19:21 PM »
Here is what I posted on the other site:
"Even my Camaro buddies don't like them. Challenger is tops on every ones list (including me). Three reasons Camaro sales are in the tank: the 'new' styling is way over the top, too disco/ Transformers for most people. Price. Not evolving, aka updating. Ok, maybe another reason: bad build quality/warranty claims."

Also, as commented here, using the 'Camaro' name on an electric SUV is insane. Btw, Ford was considering doing the same with the Mustang model 'e-Mach' on an upcoming SUV. I don't get it, what are GM and Ford thinking? The only conclusion I can say is Mopar has their act together. Challenger, and RAM truck sales are skyrocketing. Im seriously considering switching over to Mopar...
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 04:51:28 PM »
I bought a new 2017 1SS that I special ordered in early 2017.  I love it as far as performance and handling.  I've never owned a car that comes close to it in performance.  In handling only my old 1987 IROC could handle as well in my opinion.  I don't have any problem with the interior; I am short so have no problem fitting into it.  I  like the effect of having a car wrapped around me.  I don't mind the styling although I think both the Mustang and Challenger look better.  My major complaint is not being able to see out of it to the right rear.  Like another poster mentioned, you just have to use your mirrors often and keep track of what's behind you by turning your head often.
I only considered a Camaro when I was looking for a new car as I am a Chevy man thru and thru.  Like another poster mentioned I thoroughly dislike  SUV's and crossovers.
If they stop making the Camaro I don't know what would be my pick between the Mustang and Challenger.  The only other Chevy product I would consider they already stopped making, the SS coupe.   

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 02:30:22 AM »
Solid performance options, but personally never cared for the styling. To try and get the proportions right with those large wheels, the belt line is much too high; an average sized driver appears as a head only from the side.
Also claustrophobic in the rear, the main cabin is gloomy, and the trunk opening size......
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
Solid performance options, but personally never cared for the styling. To try and get the proportions right with those large wheels, the belt line is much too high; an average sized driver appears as a head only from the side.
Also claustrophobic in the rear, the main cabin is gloomy, and the trunk opening size......

Absolutely correct. Camaro's ergonomics are horrible, and I believe that with the current disco body style is the downfall. Mustang has better all around dynamics, yet 'I' do not care for its body style either. Then there is the Challenger, a success in my opinion.
1968 Olds 442 W-30