Author Topic: Racing Mustangs Book  (Read 8639 times)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Re: Racing Mustangs Book
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 08:55:03 PM »
I'm building a second gen Pontiac.  Can't wait to see detail shots and learn more about the neatest period in racing!

I am sure I will also learn more about Jerry Titus and his move to Godsal/Pontiac that Jon shared.  Neat stuff.

Very cool! A T/G Racing tribute?

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »
Norm Beechey won the 1965 Australian Touring Car Championship in his Mustang. The ATCC was contested as a single race, rather than a multi-race series. Bob Jane, in another Mustang, took pole position, while Beechey had a troubled qualifying and started down the grid. But he quickly moved forward to take a lead he would not relinquish.

Both the Beechey and Jane Mustangs were built using parts ordered from Shelby American. Group 2 Mustangs could essentially run the same mechanical components as the Shelby GT350 R-model race cars, and everything was available for these cars through the Shelby American parts catalogue. In addition, both Beechey and Jane ran a Shelby Cobra intake set-up with a quartet of 2-barrel Weber carburetors as opposed to the single 4-barrel fitted to the GT350 R-model.

This neat publicity photo was taken by John Stanley, showing the Neptune Racing Team, also comprising the Mini Cooper S of Peter Manton, and the Lotus Cortina of Jim McKeown. Note Beechey's Mustang is wearing steel wheels here. He would ultimately switch to magnesium American Racing Wheels.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »
Steve,
Any chance you will print a Camaro Racing book version also? IF you have, please forgive my ignorance.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 12:06:42 AM »
Steve,
Any chance you will print a Camaro Racing book version also? IF you have, please forgive my ignorance.

Yes, a Racing Camaros book is in the pipeline. Unfortunately Covid-19 has meant the publishers put the project on pause, until the world is less crazy. It should have been released this October, but I'm guessing it'll be sometime next year.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 09:58:35 PM »
Very cool photo of the three Neptune Racing Team cars.

Can't wait for the Camaro book, Steve!
Jon Mello
CRG

mikebaronehouston

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 04:34:04 AM »
Steve Holmes - sorry for the delay.

My project was going to be a clone of the T/G car as it ran the last two races of the '70 season.  Like what John Cordts and David Hobbs drove.  Super accurate clone was the goal and I was heading there.

Then I stumbled on a 303.  Too far along to scrap all the T/G bodywork, but shifting to more of a Team Associates suspension setup.  Also the start of my stall.

Send me your e-mail and I’ll forward a write-up and glamour shots.  Happy to share with anyone.

I have been tremendously stalled.  I want to get back on the horse, but too damn tired every night to work on it.  Really embarrassed about the excuses…

Mike
Mike Barone
Houston, TX