Author Topic: Body/cowl tag - is it original  (Read 10087 times)

RogerN

• View Profile
Re: Body/cowl tag - is it original
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2020, 09:28:40 PM »
I just found out yesterday that the car has a 4.10 rear end - I had thought it was a 3.73.

I actually have a '77 Toyota Celica liftback that has a 4.10 rear end (previously it had a 3.53) and I really like it. It runs about 2,000 rpm at 50 mph, of course that is in 5th gear. I think it runs about 2,800 rpm at 50 mph in 4th gear, but I would have to check. It has slightly bigger tires on the rear which I had thought I might do on this car as well, so it compensates for the bigger tires.

This car will rarely (if ever) be driven on the freeway, so I am assuming that the 4.10 rear end will be tolerable, especially if I put some bigger tires on the rear. You may be right - it may be a little too many revs and too much shifting. I will know a little more after I drive the car.

I really appreciate the input and food for thought. It is making me consider some things I hadn't thought of.

I guess the bottom line is that I am looking for a car that is a decent investment, that is within my budget, that I like the look of, and that I like driving. I have always thought the '69 Camaro is my favorite classic car. While I would love an all-original Z that is in fantastic condition, I can't afford it. It seems like I am either going to have to sacrifice originality or condition (rust, etc.), but it doesn't seem like I can afford both on my budget.

RogerN

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2020, 10:40:39 PM »
Richard,

The reason I actually started barking up this tree is because I have a chunk of money in the bank that is making basically zero percent interest. I really don't want to be gambling on the stock market at my age, and there seems to be no good place to invest money other than that, so I figured an in-demand classic car may be a good investment - especially if I can get one that I really like - like the '69 Camaro. Hopefully it would still be in demand when I need to sell it (about 25 years I am thinking).

The car would be parked most of the time and just driven in town a few times a month. It won't be raced or be a daily driver. The primary purpose of having the car would be for an investment.

I don't know that I have a strong opinion or desire about the driving/performance characteristics of the car. As long as it drives OK and doesn't break down a lot it should be fine.

What options beyond a Z were you thinking of? I started looking at Z28's because they seem to be more in demand and will be a better investment than the RS/SS etc. The problem is that they are more expensive. I have always liked the '69 Camaros. Were you thinking of different cars?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2020, 10:42:27 PM »
With your stated budget, forget about Z/28s. You should easily be able to find a nicely done, turn-key '69 street machine.

Minimum requirements, 350 [or better] sb at least a 4-speed [preferably a 5-speed], 12 bolt, discs all around. Plenty of them out there. Don't buy anything that "...just needs [fill in the blank]".

Remember, cash is King.
Learning more and more about less and less...

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »
In first generation Camaros
In the mid $50's to mid $60's the best buy is a documented 68 Z28, you may be able to find a 69 Z28 in that range, however you are going to have to know someone OR be extremely knowledgeable yourself, because you must act QUICKLY on deals which come along, because they DO NOT LAST.

Example... there was a real 70 Z28 advertised locally 2 weeks ago for 6k. it was rusty but had 5k worth of new parts with the car and the original 12 bolt, along with a M21 and 4 bolt 350 truck engine, ... I passed but it was sold within 2 hours of me looking at it.
In the past few years there have been REAL 69 z's with original engines which have traded in the low 40's in the same time there have literally been THOUSANDS of cars advertised as 69 Z's in the same price range but were fake crap.

Here is a photo I saw a couple of years ago on face book - an original paint, original interior, 69 RS/SS 350 auto AC conv with 26k original miles for under 40k, got the car but keep in mind if the money was not wired within an hour of finding it, the car would have been sold to someone else.

I searched through 18 months worth of posts on LOOMIS Auto's facebook site in order to find a number more photos of the car which illustrated how original it was... including the fact that the original boot cover for the conv top was still SEALED in a plastic bag in the trunk and the BL tag was still on the rear drum indicating 3.36 rear end.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2020, 04:44:57 PM »
 I can't see the pics  :-\
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
Boys,
Unfortunately we all know there are more 1969 Z/28's now then were actually made in 1969…aka fakes. When desirability, and value come to play we see this in our hobby. Just like 'fake' GT-350 Shelby's. Buyer beware!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2020, 08:23:50 PM »
Richard,

The reason I actually started barking up this tree is because I have a chunk of money in the bank that is making basically zero percent interest. I really don't want to be gambling on the stock market at my age, and there seems to be no good place to invest money other than that, so I figured an in-demand classic car may be a good investment - especially if I can get one that I really like - like the '69 Camaro. Hopefully it would still be in demand when I need to sell it (about 25 years I am thinking).

The car would be parked most of the time and just driven in town a few times a month. It won't be raced or be a daily driver. The primary purpose of having the car would be for an investment.

I don't know that I have a strong opinion or desire about the driving/performance characteristics of the car. As long as it drives OK and doesn't break down a lot it should be fine.

What options beyond a Z were you thinking of? I started looking at Z28's because they seem to be more in demand and will be a better investment than the RS/SS etc. The problem is that they are more expensive. I have always liked the '69 Camaros. Were you thinking of different cars?

I would NOT recommend a classic car as an investment. Even some people with 40+ years of being around these cars would not recommend it. There are a lot of fake cars out there. And there are “a lot of sharks in the water” waiting for people to overpay for what they are selling.

If you are buying a car, do it because you like the car.

For investment, try real estate. Much better return for your money.

But now is a good time to keep a decent amount of your portfolio in cash.

Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2020, 09:54:03 PM »
The 2 I have were purchased in 1976 & 1981. I didn't buy them for investments...I bought them because I like them & I've kept them all these years for the same reason. I didn't then & still don't care what the market does to them although for those who want a better return, I hope it continues to grow...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »
I agree with James and Joe. The majority of guys that purchase, do so because they have a passion for the cars. Many people think of classic car as an investment, which it can be, but you really have to be knowledgeable. Myself and others have been fortunate to do well on a purchase, but this is after years (decades) of following he market, and learning about these cars. I don't use cars as my investment, it is just for fun. If it passes for itself along the way, then great, if not I love what I have.
Real estate is a better option.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV