Author Topic: 1969 console fuel guage accuracy ?  (Read 1864 times)

WaltZ

• View Profile
1969 console fuel guage accuracy ?
« on: May 06, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
my fuel guage accuracy seems way off.
it drops extremely fast  from +full to 1/4 tank. And when I fill up at 1/4, it takes between 8 and 9 gallons. any suggestions on how to get it within a reasonable reading range.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 1969 console fuel guage accuracy ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 06:13:05 PM »
Walt, what you're experiencing is actually fairly normal. These gauges, even when new, weren't very accurate and I've owned several first gen Camaros that did the exact same thing you're seeing.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if it REALLY bugs you, you can drop the tank and pull the sender to check the "travel". You'll need an ohm meter (a cheap HARBOR FREIGHT meter will work if you don't have one, but an analog meter like a Simpson 260 would be much better since they have a needle and you can see the "travel" much better), and verify the reading goes smooth from full to empty. THIS VIDEO is of a Mercedes Benz 190SL, but the concept is the same.

Ed

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »
There's lots of helpful threads on this at Team Camaro (www.camaros.net) in the 'electrical and wiring' section, with diagnostic checks and tips to rectify.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

WaltZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 08:16:43 PM »
Thanks again guys, now I believe I have enough to get on it.
Fill er up

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »
Yes, buy a HF meter, very cheap and useful. Suggestions given are good.
You will notice in the trunk, bottom of the structure holding the latch, a tan wire.
This wire goes to the sending unit.
Disconnect the connector and measure in refence to ground, black lead, and red lead onto wire through floor, and read s/unit ohms.
Anything between 0-90 ohms, 0 = empty, 90 = full.
You can also get a resistor, 45-50 ohm, and attach one lead to ground, the resistor lead to tan wire into body, and gauge should read approximately half full/empty.
Tank capacity is 16 gallons.  Good luck.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

anything