Author Topic: Disc Brakes Opinions  (Read 5619 times)

• View Profile
Disc Brakes Opinions
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:21:19 PM »
I need some advice on Disc Brakes for a 69 Camaro.  It has factory Disc but I need to have an updated system.  What would be the best for my Camaro.  I will be using it for street driving only,but it has a strong motor and needs to have good stopping power.  Thanks for any help you might give.

sam

• View Profile
Re: Disc Brakes Opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »
Can't have your original power disc brake system rebuilt?

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:38:14 AM »
Rebuild the orignal system, that will work as well as anything out there...........with rear drums and front discs.

JM

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 01:21:10 AM »
Last year I sold a 69 Camaro of mine to a friend that had Baer 13" rotors with Alcon calipers and a power brake booster. It was the hardest stopping Camaro I have ever had. The car had a 427" smallblock making 614 hp on pump gas. Was built by a GM  performance ride and handling engineer. I would give people rides and demo the brakes. They would then want those brakes. I had even put just street pads on it.  Amazing difference between them and any stock GM brake I have driven. A stock system will work fine most of the time but there are harder stopping brakes out there.
  The same GM engineer is re-doing my 67 Camaro that he had built years ago. I think it has 12" Baers. He has researched boosters and I think he is going with a setup from Detroit Speed and Engineering. That car has a 565" big block with a 6 speed and needs to be able to stop quickly.

go2fast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
"Hard stopping" is limited by traction isn't it? Even stock '69 disks can lock the tires. Now if we're talking repeatability on a track, then heat resistance and fade is a factor.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 04:33:57 AM »
If youre just using the car on the street, a rebuilt stock system should be fine.

We have a 2nd gen with a stock brake setup (except for front pads at the track) that has never had any problems during many 20-30 minute hot lap sessions on the road course.

I would think that you would have a hard time outperforming the stock setup on the street only.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:56:35 PM »
Any system that will lock the wheels will stop the car (on a one-stop basis) as well as any aftermarket system, for normal street use; the brakes stop the wheels, but the TIRES stop the car.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything