Author Topic: North Wilkesboro Speedway 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 Conv Pace Car NASCAR Staley 400  (Read 4970 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
A white 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible was used as the pace car for the 9th annual Gwyn Staley 400 NASCAR Grand National event held at the North Wilkesboro Speedway in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina on Sunday, April 20, 1969.  It was won by Bobby Allison in his 1969 Dodge Charger 500.

Gwyn Staley was a NASCAR driver from North Carolina who was killed in a NASCAR Convertible Division 100-mile race held at the Atlantic Rural Fairgrounds in Richmond, Virginia in March 1958.

1) ebay
2-3) camaropacecars.com
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 03:11:20 AM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:37:31 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
While I'm not absolutely sure, it looks like the North Wilkesboro Camaro pace car appears in this photograph of the pre-race pace car parade held prior to the Carolina 500 NASCAR Grand National event held at North Carolina Motor Speedway in Rockingham, North Carolina on Sunday, March 9, 1969.  To me the Camaro behind the white Chevrolet station wagon looks like it has the same shape door decal.  It stands to reason that the North Wilkesboro Camaro pace car would attend another NASCAR event in the same state in order to promote their upcoming NASCAR event.

Photo came from here: http://ourhamlet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6147
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
The North Wilkesboro 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible is one of the NASCAR pace cars that survives to this day.  It has been fully restored to the way it appeared at the 1969 Gwyn Staley 400.

The Camaro was featured in an article that appeared in the February 2010 issue of Musclecar Enthusiast magazine.  These photos are of my own copy of the article. 
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
More from the article...
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
An expanded version of the same article appears here with additional photographs and documentation/paperwork: https://automotivetraveler.com/magazine/viewer.php?path=2013/05/1969_NASCAR_Camaro_Pace_Car&page=1

Additional photos of the restored car appear here: https://automotivetraveler.fotki.com/from-the-archives-18/?view=roll
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
I'm not sure if the owner of the car is still Bruce Carlton or not but several years ago he posted photographs of the car at the Camaro Pace Car web site.  These might have been taken prior to restoration of the car.

http://www.camaropacecars.com/1969/69Owners/BCarlton/BCarlton.htm
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
More photos and an article he wrote about his car:

"The 1969 Camaro North Wilkesboro NASCAR Speedway Pace Car

by Bruce Carlton

1969 Camaros in NASCAR

As we know, at the 1969 Indianapolis 500, there were two '69 Z11 Convertible Camaros that were the actual Pace Cars and about 130 more of the '69 Z11 Camaro's Pace Car replicas that were at the race as courtesy vehicles. There was also a total of 3675 Pace Car replicas (Z11). But there were also approximately nine more of the '69 Camaros that were used as actual NASCAR Speedway Pace Cars. These NASCAR Pace Cars Camaros were utilized at each NASCAR track as the Pace Car for the 'entire 69 season.

These cars were manufactured in October of 1968 (10C on the cowl tag), so they were very early '69 cars. Consequently, they had a short rear spoiler (carryover from the '68 year Camaro) and had no cowl induction hood (not available until 1969). These cars were manufactured in Norwood, Ohio where the majority of the Indy Pace Cars were built. Each car was sold to NASCAR, headquartered in Daytona Beach, Florida and then given to each of the NASCAR speedways for use as their Pace Car for the entire season. Each track painted their logos and track racing decals on the cars and was free to modify the cars as well for the tracks' use. At the end of the NASCAR season, each car was returned to its' original condition (i.e. painted white again) and turned back into the Chevrolet dealer for resale. Each track had the option to purchase the car for half price if they wanted to keep the car.

These cars were similar in appearance as the Indianapolis Z11 Pace Cars, but there were several distinctions. The cars were big block 396 cars, convertibles, Dover White in color, RS, SS, but instead of having the orange houndstooth interior, they had blue comfort weave interior. Also there were no orange stripes on the hood and trunk lid. The rocker panels were painted black and the rear end (above the bumper) was also painted black, which was standard paint treatment for an SS-optioned car.

The North Wilkesboro Pace Car

The North Wilksboro (North Wilkesboro, North Carolina) Pace Car was driven by Enoch Staley, famed President of the former North Wilksboro NASCAR Speedway. Also sharing driving duties was his son, now former President of the North Wilksboro Speedway, Mike Staley. Enoch Staley also drove the Pace Cars for several of the other NASCAR tracks including the Daytona Speedway. The North Wilkesboro Speedway closed for NASCAR racing in 1996.  The North Wilksboro Pace Car was not mechanically modified in any way for the tracks' use. There was no roll bar installed, and no 8-quart oil pan installed either, which was commonly done to some of the other NASCAR Pace Cars. Instead this car was used for pacing the two races at the Speedway that year, April 20th (won by Bobby Allison) and October 5th (won by David Pearson). This car has been owned now by six owners, each apparently aware of the cars' history. The longest period of ownership was 21 years ('71-'92) where the car was used both as a family car and also for a daughter going to college!

I have spoken with Mike Staley, now the former President of the North Wilksboro Speedway in North Carolina. I asked him about the '69 Camaro Pace Car, and he lit up with excitement. I asked him several questions to authenticate the originality of the car, and he was very helpful. I was curious about the selection of options on the car: automatic transmission, super high rear end (2.56 12-bolt positraction), and steel wheels with the poverty caps. (The original Indianapolis Pace Cars had: automatic transmission, 396/375 engine, 3.31 positraction, 4-wheel disk brakes, 15 x 7 rally wheels, AM radio, power steering, power top, center console, special instrumentation, sport styled steering wheel, spoilers, custom front shoulder belts, and tinted glass). According to Mike, the Pace Car drivers didn't want 4¬-speed transmissions since they had their hands full just pacing the race cars. If they had a stick shift car (the speedway's had to take what NASCAR supplied to them), according to Mike, they would wind the engine out in 1st gear, then dump the transmission into 4th! The 2.56 positraction rear end was supplied for super high speeds. (This was interesting, since the North Wilkesboro Speedway was a 5/8 mile, where Pace Car speeds were probably 70-80 mph. But the Pace Car at Daytona definitely needed the high rear end for its' duties!) Also the steel wheels with caps were supplied to eliminate the trim rings flying off during pace laps, had the car been supplied with the better-looking rally wheels. After I talked to Mike Staley, he told me that at the end of the season, when they had the opportunity of purchasing the car for half price, the option regrettably was not exercised.  I have also been in contact with the NASCAR archives to do some informational searches on further documentation of this car.

Options

The car is in very original condition (52,000 miles) and is loaded with original options:
SS Performance Option
RS Appearance Option
Convertible
Power Top
Blue Comfortweave Custom Interior
Special Ordered Rear
2.56 Positraction
396/325 HP Engine
Speed Minder Speedometer
Blue Dot AM/FM Stereo Radio
Fiber Optic Light Monitoring
Space Saver Spare
14 x 7 Wheels with F70-14 Tires
Bumper Guards Front & Rear
Automatic Transmission TH400
Air Conditioning
Fast Ratio Power Steering
Center Console
Special Instrumentation w/Tachometer 5500/7000
Tilt Steering Wheel
Spoilers Front & Rear
Power Windows
Vanity Mirror Passenger Side
Soft-Ray Tinted Glass

The original numbers-matching drive train is still present, as is the original interior. The car obviously has been painted after it was released from its' Pace Car duties on its' way back to the Chevrolet Dealer.  The car is a pleasure to drive! With the spring weather, a convertible is fun and driving in the city is comfortable with the automatic. To most people, the car is very subtle as a Pace Car, since it doesn't have the orange stripes and interior.

Acknowledgments

Until I found this car, I had no idea about the rarity and history of these cars. I've enjoyed learning about the car and its history, and talking with many people about their knowledge of this amazing car.  Also, I’d like to thank Mike Staley, of North Wilkesboro Speedway for his efforts and generosity in information on this car."

http://www.camaropacecars.com/1969/69Owners/BCarlton/BCarlton.htm
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
The Camaro briefly appears in some amateur footage taken during the race.  It can be seen between 2:29 and 2:35 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca225nzgWvA
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Here is the front cover for the souvenir event program.  (worthpoint)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Several years ago I purchased a custom built 1:18th scale model of the North Wilkesboro Camaro pace car off of Ebay.  I don't think the seller created very many of them.  Here are some of the photos he put in his auction.
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
I just came to the realization that unlike the custom made model in the previously posted photos, my model has the correct white steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps.  It might have come that way from the seller but I seem to remember making the alteration myself.  Here are a few pictures of my 1:18th scale model of the 1969 North Wilkesboro Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible pace car.  You can see that some of the custom made decals are starting to peel away.  I need to fix that.
Scott

ZLP955

• View Profile
Very interesting car, and love the detail in that model!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Scott

MO

• View Profile
Very cool!

anything