Author Topic: Correct Paint and Gasket for 327 2bbl 210hp LF7 Air Cleaner  (Read 3977 times)

1967butternut

• View Profile
    • MemphisGuru.com
Correct Paint and Gasket for 327 2bbl 210hp LF7 Air Cleaner
« on: April 09, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »
My air cleaner needs a repaint and a new 210HP sticker.

I've got the sticker but not sure of the correct paint? Posts about other cleaners mention Black Semi-Gloss, is "Semi-Gloss" a standard or is there a specific (rattle can) paint I should use?

Any tips on repainting? Strip to bare metal? Primer?

Second question, I've owned car since 1975 but don't remember there ever being any gasket on either the lid seal area or the contact between the bottom of the cleaner case and 2bbl carb, should there be one? And if so, where to get it?

Thanks!
Damon
My 1967 Z21 Pictorial History
The Memphis Guru, a web guy you can talk to.
www.MemphisGuru.com

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Correct Paint and Gasket for 327 2bbl 210hp LF7 Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:05:07 PM »
My vote is for: DIY: Cheap-Affordable; Glass bead using low pressure, blow down & wipe down with PPG or equal wax and grease remover; on a nice warm day prime with SEM black etching primer # Part #39673 Top coat with a aerosol black lacquer spray [Rust-Oleum 1905830 1905-830 Spray Paint, 11-Ounce, Black ]

Better take yet (?) it to your local powder coater for a pro job select from their chip samples & have a coating that is very durable given it's location and use.

to be honest your air cleaner looks good just clean it up and throw a new sticker on it

There should be a gasket in place, correct other will quote the manual, Felpro and you local parts store should be able to source one.

JIM

Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

1967butternut

• View Profile
    • MemphisGuru.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 08:45:55 PM »
My vote is for: DIY: Cheap-Affordable; Glass bead using low pressure, blow down & wipe down with PPG or equal wax and grease remover; on a nice warm day prime with SEM black etching primer # Part #39673 Top coat with a aerosol black lacquer spray [Rust-Oleum 1905830 1905-830 Spray Paint, 11-Ounce, Black ]
Thanks for the paint details! I can do all that.  I'll check around Memphis for a local powder coater that could do such a small job too.  I've got an original four blade fan that needs to be redone, maybe get them both at the same time.
Damon
www.MemphisGuru.com

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 03:25:00 AM »
I'd just clean it up. Engine looks mostly original, a restored air cleaner will look out of place, IMO. And the new decals are not the same....

I would powdercoat the fan though!
Kurt S
CRG

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
Anyone can fluff an engine compartment. And most bays have been repainted to some degree or another. It takes a lot of will power to resist the temptation to take an untouched engine compartment and just clean and leave it alone. It’s your car and you should make it to what suits you. But most hardcore enthusiasts will be more impressed with an original engine bay with original decals (no matter how frayed) & original paint even though things are not perfect...they are genuine and preserved.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

1967butternut

• View Profile
    • MemphisGuru.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
I'd just clean it up. Engine looks mostly original, a restored air cleaner will look out of place, IMO. And the new decals are not the same....

I would powdercoat the fan though!
Anyone can fluff an engine compartment. And most bays have been repainted to some degree or another. It takes a lot of will power to resist the temptation to take an untouched engine compartment and just clean and leave it alone. It’s your car and you should make it to what suits you. But most hardcore enthusiasts will be more impressed with an original engine bay with original decals (no matter how frayed) & original paint even though things are not perfect...they are genuine and preserved.

I agree on keeping things original but this seems more like basic maintenance. I've been through a lot with this car since 1975, it's always been a driver and I'm trying to get it back to daily driver condition now. Not trying to fluff, restomod, or improve it beyond factory condition. Otherwise I'd slap on a chrome open-element air cleaner and be done.

The terrible cheap paint job I had done in 1988 got over-spray on EVERYTHING including the air cleaner, that's what looks like dust/dirt in the pictures.

I've got pictures of it over the years if your interested, including the receipts for the two paint jobs, 1977 and 1988, good for a laugh (or cry).

https://linkpro.net/piwigo/index.php/category/album-1967-camaro
Damon
www.MemphisGuru.com

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:32:44 PM »
Enjoyed the pics.

X2 JM.

To your question: no access to a blaster, or don't feel like buying one, messy, but try Citrastrip. Think spellings right. Does a great job without the harshness of some of the other products. I'm also a steelwool fan,0000. Rattle canning, been happy with the Eastwood stuff, in that it gives a pretty decent spray pattern, lays nice. Good for a few small single items vs. Breaking the gun out. Use what's left on a few brackets.

Actually does look good underhood. Not the typical shoddy wiring mess, pitting. Taken care of. Probably some good products/tips out there to rid the overspray, if so inclined.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »
Take a pic, and measure,reference points your old sticker.

1967butternut

• View Profile
    • MemphisGuru.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 09:14:26 PM »
Take a pic, and measure,reference points your old sticker.
Not sure what you wanted? Here is a pic of my original (what's left of it) and the licensed replacement I got from Heartbeat City Camaro.
Here are more pics including the front AC label.
https://linkpro.net/piwigo/index.php/category/19

I measured best I could from point to point on the label lettering and everything matched up, have no way to know about the colors of silver and red from 50 years ago.
Damon
www.MemphisGuru.com

1967butternut

• View Profile
    • MemphisGuru.com
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »
Might as well post the front AC label pic for posterity.
Damon
www.MemphisGuru.com

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 09:47:29 PM »
For your own reference when placing your new decals.

1967butternut

• View Profile
    • MemphisGuru.com
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 12:54:39 AM »
For your own reference when placing your new decals.
Gotcha, thanks for the reminder. Just the kind if thing I'd forget and then be back here asking someone to measure theirs.
Damon
www.MemphisGuru.com