Author Topic: '69 metering valve leak  (Read 2089 times)

69RSZEE28

• View Profile
'69 metering valve leak
« on: April 09, 2020, 12:57:27 AM »
Ive recently rebuilt the distribution block and metering valve in my '69 with new seals for the metering valve and valve rebuild kit from Muscle Car Research. The distribution block and metering valve have been soda blasted and appear to be in great condition, the issue I am having is when the brakes are applied brake fluid is leaking from the rear of the metering valve where the "shaft" slides in/out. Im still getting lots of fluid at all four wheels when brakes are bled. I have 3 '69 metering valves that have been rebuilt with the parts from Muscle Car Research and all 3 leak. I have got rid of all the old dot 3 and are using dot 5 now which Scott from Muscle Car Research says is compatible with dot 5. I haven't figured out what is causing the brake fluid to leak from the metering valve in the rear, any help would be greatly appreciated.

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: '69 metering valve leak
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »
I had the same issue on a previous rebuild and I had just a small bit of trash in the inside of the bore and the seal could not sit flat against the back wall and would allow fluid to leak past.  Took a pick and scrapped it out and washed it with brake cleaner and re-installed the seal and all was good.  Just a thought.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 11:05:20 AM »
You've probably already tried this, but if not, MCR's rebuild instructions say:
You may need to tighten, loosen, and retighten each fitting multiple times to obtain a leak-free seal.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 05:38:28 AM »
Have you contacted MCR?
Kurt S
CRG

anything